Jul 13, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
HBT Commenter Emeritus Old Gator had the following to say about Big Stein this morning. Unlike Gator’s usual comments, minimal translation is required here. For the totally clueless among you, know that ‘The Borg” refers to the Yankees and “the Feesh” refer to Old Gator’s rooting interest, the Florida Marlins:
His not being there anymore is like looking out a window in Alaska on
one of those days when Denali disappears in an ice crystal haze. He
wasn’t really a New Yorker but he was as much a feature of New York as the Empire State Building, and gave his adopted town a serious helping of tough love during his reign.
Truly one of the most unique and memorable figures ever to own a sports franchise, yet Steinbrenner was so much more: a style that couldn’t be copied, a temper that inspired envy from Vesuvius – and, whatever you thought of the Borg as acorporate culture, his cognizance of and solicitude for his team’s fans was unmistakable.
Sad to say, I’ll be mulling this last point repeatedly as July 31 looms because the contrast between King George’s passion for his team and the parasitic, even contemptuous posture of the little bloodsuckers who run my Feesh couldn’t possibly be more stark in a Newtonian universe.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 26
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 91
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)