Jul 13, 2010, 9:16 AM EDT
Yesterday Tom Haudricourt said that, after his conversation with Scott Boras, he was never more convinced that Prince Fielder was going to leave Milwaukee via free agency. Today we have the article explaining why, and it comes down to two words: Mark Teixeira. The quotes are all Boras:
“When you have a player that performs like Mark Teixeira, you have to
look at Prince Fielder’s performance in comparison. You
want to know the value of a player? Take a look at it . . . Prince is a home-run hitter. He’s 70 home runs ahead of Teixeira at
that point . . . If you look at Mark Teixeira’s contract, he made the Yankees money. How
many teams would take on Mark Teixeira’s contract? I would say 20. The
reason is it’s good business to do that. Those players are invaluable.”
Mark Teixeira got an eight-year, $180 million contract which started out at $20 million a year and escalates up to $22.5 million a year starting next season and will take him through 2016. Unconfirmed reports had the Brewers offering Fielder $20 million for four or five years.
I know everyone got tired of hearing the “body type” and “aging pattern” arguments when Ryan Howard got his extension, but they apply even more so to Fielder. Boras is big on comps, is he? If I were the Brewers I would challenge him to identify for me one player in the history of baseball as short and as fat as Prince Fielder is who put up top-flight, MVP-type numbers during his age 28-35 seasons.
And no, I won’t accept Babe Ruth unless Boras is willing to really run with that comparison and make the claim that Fielder is the Babe’s equivalent in all aspects of his game. Which, now that I think about it, he might just try to see if he can do it.
Anyway, I think the point to be drawn from all of this is that Milwaukee had best think about trading Fielder pronto.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 87
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 229
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (229)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (104)