Quote of the Day: George Steinbrenner edition

Jul 13, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT

The Boss had a few things to say in his life.

I’ve said my piece on Steinbrenner, but I’m sure he’d think he could say it better himself.

All of these things were actually said by George Steinbrenner at one point or another. Some of these words constitute genuine wisdom. Some of them constitute craziness. Some of them are flat out lies.  One of them is a little eerie and sad after today’s  events. All of them, however, go a long way towards explaining what George Steinbrenner was all about, for better and for worse:

• “We plan absentee ownership as far as running the Yankees is concerned. We’re not going to pretend we’re something we aren’t. I’ll stick to building ships.”
  • “I am dead set against free agency. It can ruin baseball.”
  • “Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next.”
  • “I will never have a heart attack. I give them.”
  • “Don’t talk to me about aesthetics or tradition. Talk to me about what sells and what’s good right now. And what the American people like is to think the underdog still has a chance.”
  • “I am tough. Sometimes I’m unreasonable. I have to catch myself every once in a while.”
  • “I don’t want to be in the Hall of Fame. I don’t think owners should be.”
  • “I haven’t always made the right decisions.”
  • “I haven’t always done a good job, and I haven’t always been successful – but I know that I have tried.”
  • “In the end, I’ll put my good acts up against those of anybody in this country. Anybody.”
  1. Infinite Wisdom - Jul 13, 2010 at 11:50 AM

It’s a sad day.. Seriously, I almost didn’t come into work. What a brilliant man.. Do whatever it takes to win, and screw what everyone else thinks.

2. Conor - Jul 13, 2010 at 12:13 PM

This is my favorite Boss quote – right after the Yankees and Orioles brawled over Benitez hitting Tino Martinez on May 20, 1998:
    “Athletes react. If they don’t react they’re labeled as (soft). You have to go after the man of first fault. The perpetrator. That’s the guy they should really come down. I think Dr. Budig will react (today).
    “Maybe he’ll react and say Peter Angelos and I go three rounds to settle it. I’ve been working out three days a week. And he’s a hell of a lot smaller than I am.”
    Whole article here: http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/1998/05/20/1998-05-20_george_weighs_in_with_fighti.html

3. YankeesfanLen - Jul 13, 2010 at 12:29 PM

The Yankees representatives of the AL, paticularly Derek Jeter, will go out tonight and win the All Star game as a tribute to George. They are better men than I am.

4. YANKEES1996 - Jul 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Mr.Steinbrenner was revered, loved and hated, but in todays and yesterdays world he was something that everyone respected and admired and that was a straight shooter. If you did not want to hear his honest answer then don’t ask the question, he was always boldly honest and in yesterdays or todays politically correct world that is refreshing. He had passion, he had vision and he had drive and all those things made him both successful, loved and hated. But to him I say simply “Thank You Mr. Steinbrenner” for making the Yankees great and not giving a damn what anyone else thought or said. God Bless you “Boss”.

5. jojomama - Jul 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM

My favorite memories of General Von Steingraber are Bill Gallo’s funny cartoons in the NY Daily News. As an envious Mets fan as a kid, I loved the good natured ribbing Gallo gave him. I remember the drama between Martin and Steinbrenner, the unrelenting will to win at all cost. I’d love to see what Gallo drew today as a tribute. Now, as an adult Rays fan and Tampa Bay resident, I wish Stuart Sternberg had more of Steinbrenner in him. RIP General.

6. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - Jul 13, 2010 at 2:34 PM

My favorite Boss story is of the one when Lou Pinella (as a player) complained about the strict hair policy the Yankees have had during George’s ownership. Noting Lou’s long hair, George let him know that when he could walk on water like Jesus, he could keep his mane.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3763)