George Steinbrenner has died following a massive heart attack

Jul 13, 2010, 9:47 AM EDT

UPDATE: The Daily News is reporting that George Steinbrenner has died.  He was 80. We’ll be writing more about this shortly. In the meantime, thoughts and prayers to the Steinbrenner family, Yankees fans and, let’s face it, baseball fans everywhere.

9:25 A.M.: WABC in New York is now reporting that Steinbrenner had a
“massive heart attack” and is in “extremely critical condition.”

I have no inside information here, obviously, and I’m not trying to be alarmist, but based on personal experience with this sort of thing, the term “extremely critical condition” is used by some hospitals in situations where death is imminent, but doctors wish to hold off pronouncing it so that family can be gathered to say final good-byes.  I have no idea if that is the case here, of course. I also have no idea if Hal and Hank Steinbrenner or other members of the Steinbrenner family are in Tampa or if they traveled to Anaheim for the All-Star Game.

9:18 A.M.: It’s so far unconfirmed, but Bay News 9 in Tampa is reporting that George Steinbrenner has been hospitalized.

Also worth noting that there are various tweets floating around saying that Steinbrenner had a massive heart attack and some morons have already gotten to his Wikipedia page to report his death.  I effing hate the Internet sometimes.

We’ll obviously update when we hear something new.

1. BC - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:26 AM

WABC is reporting it as well.

2. Simon DelMonte - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Yow. Thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

3. The Real Shuxion - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:41 AM

From a red sox fan:
    Thoughts and Prayers to a hell of an owner who really cared about his team and fanbase.

4. Matt S. - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:51 AM

RIP, George.

5. birdmancometh - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:52 AM

A-men. He was a good owner. It’s a sad day for baseball.

6. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:54 AM

RIP Mr. Steinbrenner :(

7. Simon DelMonte - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I doubt the Daily News is wrong on this.
    My deepest condolences to the family, his friends, and the Yankee Universe, which has lost two legends in three days. Whatever my own feelings are about him are irrelevant now. He was the Boss, the biggest non-athlete on the NYC sports landscape, and he will be missed.

8. Fed up - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:58 AM

All the money in the world can’t pay off the Grim Reaper.

9. quarketry - Jul 13, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Eerie timing: I stayed up until 2:00 a.m. last night to finish reading Bill Madden’s biography of Steinbrenner. Such a perfect example of a “benevolent dictator”. Wouldn’t wanted to have worked for him, or to have him as a father, but as an owner of the team I love, there could be no better.
    RIP, George. I hope the first thing your father tells you when you arrive is that he’s proud of you.

10. SouthofHeaven - Jul 13, 2010 at 10:08 AM

R.I.P. Emperor Palpatine!!! We love you!!!!!!!!!

11. bbeer - Jul 13, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Wow…as much as I hate the yankees and would love to bask in it…as a human being I can’t.
    RIP Boss

12. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 13, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Although I am a Phillies fan, I used to listen to the Mike and the Mad Dog show alot. Whenever the Yankers would struggle, I used to love it when George would issue a “missive” as Mike would call it. They would play the Patton music and Mike would read it while Mad Dog would laugh his ass off behind the scenes. That was great stuff, and it was missed since George became sick and Hank took over.
    Condolences to his family…the game of baseball will miss him greatly.

13. YANKEES1996 - Jul 13, 2010 at 10:14 AM

I am in total shock having just heard this news that Mr. Steinbrenner has passed away. This is indeed a seriously rough patch for the Yankees and all Yankee fans and the entire Yankee family. Mr. Steinbrenner was a fantastic owner and a tremendous fan of the sport. He is the prime example of what owner should be in professional sports. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, freinds, players and all fans who loved this man as an owner who always strived to do right by sparing no expense and making no excuses. He will be sorely missed in the baseball family. Rest in peace Mr. Steinbrenner, the Yankees will be under your watchful eye forever.

14. BrokenBallz - Jul 13, 2010 at 10:46 AM

As a baseball fan, I have respected yet hated the New York Yankees. Mr. Steinbrenner was a true force in MLB ownership, and built for their fans one awesome powerhouse of a baseball team throughout the years, in addition to an longstanding legacy that can never be taken away. You will be missed, sir.

15. 27xchamps - Jul 13, 2010 at 10:49 AM

go fuck yourself asshole
    R.I.P BOSS
    the greatest

16. Randy - Jul 13, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Love him or not. We ALL wish we had an owner of our sports teams as dedicated to winning as he was. R.I.P. Mr. Steinbrenner

17. hermitfool - Jul 13, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Please don’t use gutter language. This is a civilized site.

18. Kevin R - Jul 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Wait, a Yankees fan without a sense of humor?! I’m shocked, shocked, at this development.

19. Fed up - Jul 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Obnoxious New Yorkers. You suck.
    And, Bruce Springsteen is the real “Boss”.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto