Jul 13, 2010, 9:47 AM EDT
UPDATE: The Daily News is reporting that George Steinbrenner has died. He was 80. We’ll be writing more about this shortly. In the meantime, thoughts and prayers to the Steinbrenner family, Yankees fans and, let’s face it, baseball fans everywhere.
9:25 A.M.: WABC in New York is now reporting that Steinbrenner had a
“massive heart attack” and is in “extremely critical condition.”
I have no inside information here, obviously, and I’m not trying to be alarmist, but based on personal experience with this sort of thing, the term “extremely critical condition” is used by some hospitals in situations where death is imminent, but doctors wish to hold off pronouncing it so that family can be gathered to say final good-byes. I have no idea if that is the case here, of course. I also have no idea if Hal and Hank Steinbrenner or other members of the Steinbrenner family are in Tampa or if they traveled to Anaheim for the All-Star Game.
9:18 A.M.: It’s so far unconfirmed, but Bay News 9 in Tampa is reporting that George Steinbrenner has been hospitalized.
Also worth noting that there are various tweets floating around saying that Steinbrenner had a massive heart attack and some morons have already gotten to his Wikipedia page to report his death. I effing hate the Internet sometimes.
We’ll obviously update when we hear something new.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)