Jul 13, 2010, 9:47 AM EDT
UPDATE: The Daily News is reporting that George Steinbrenner has died. He was 80. We’ll be writing more about this shortly. In the meantime, thoughts and prayers to the Steinbrenner family, Yankees fans and, let’s face it, baseball fans everywhere.
9:25 A.M.: WABC in New York is now reporting that Steinbrenner had a
“massive heart attack” and is in “extremely critical condition.”
I have no inside information here, obviously, and I’m not trying to be alarmist, but based on personal experience with this sort of thing, the term “extremely critical condition” is used by some hospitals in situations where death is imminent, but doctors wish to hold off pronouncing it so that family can be gathered to say final good-byes. I have no idea if that is the case here, of course. I also have no idea if Hal and Hank Steinbrenner or other members of the Steinbrenner family are in Tampa or if they traveled to Anaheim for the All-Star Game.
9:18 A.M.: It’s so far unconfirmed, but Bay News 9 in Tampa is reporting that George Steinbrenner has been hospitalized.
Also worth noting that there are various tweets floating around saying that Steinbrenner had a massive heart attack and some morons have already gotten to his Wikipedia page to report his death. I effing hate the Internet sometimes.
We’ll obviously update when we hear something new.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (75)