Jul 13, 2010, 9:47 AM EDT
UPDATE: The Daily News is reporting that George Steinbrenner has died. He was 80. We’ll be writing more about this shortly. In the meantime, thoughts and prayers to the Steinbrenner family, Yankees fans and, let’s face it, baseball fans everywhere.
9:25 A.M.: WABC in New York is now reporting that Steinbrenner had a
“massive heart attack” and is in “extremely critical condition.”
I have no inside information here, obviously, and I’m not trying to be alarmist, but based on personal experience with this sort of thing, the term “extremely critical condition” is used by some hospitals in situations where death is imminent, but doctors wish to hold off pronouncing it so that family can be gathered to say final good-byes. I have no idea if that is the case here, of course. I also have no idea if Hal and Hank Steinbrenner or other members of the Steinbrenner family are in Tampa or if they traveled to Anaheim for the All-Star Game.
9:18 A.M.: It’s so far unconfirmed, but Bay News 9 in Tampa is reporting that George Steinbrenner has been hospitalized.
Also worth noting that there are various tweets floating around saying that Steinbrenner had a massive heart attack and some morons have already gotten to his Wikipedia page to report his death. I effing hate the Internet sometimes.
We’ll obviously update when we hear something new.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)