Jul 13, 2010, 9:47 AM EDT
UPDATE: The Daily News is reporting that George Steinbrenner has died. He was 80. We’ll be writing more about this shortly. In the meantime, thoughts and prayers to the Steinbrenner family, Yankees fans and, let’s face it, baseball fans everywhere.
9:25 A.M.: WABC in New York is now reporting that Steinbrenner had a
“massive heart attack” and is in “extremely critical condition.”
I have no inside information here, obviously, and I’m not trying to be alarmist, but based on personal experience with this sort of thing, the term “extremely critical condition” is used by some hospitals in situations where death is imminent, but doctors wish to hold off pronouncing it so that family can be gathered to say final good-byes. I have no idea if that is the case here, of course. I also have no idea if Hal and Hank Steinbrenner or other members of the Steinbrenner family are in Tampa or if they traveled to Anaheim for the All-Star Game.
9:18 A.M.: It’s so far unconfirmed, but Bay News 9 in Tampa is reporting that George Steinbrenner has been hospitalized.
Also worth noting that there are various tweets floating around saying that Steinbrenner had a massive heart attack and some morons have already gotten to his Wikipedia page to report his death. I effing hate the Internet sometimes.
We’ll obviously update when we hear something new.
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 0
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 75
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)