Jul 13, 2010, 5:22 PM EDT
5:30 P.M.: It seems that the reports of Buck Showalter’s ascendancy are a bit premature. There’s nothing to suggest that deal between the Orioles and Showalter has had the kibosh placed upon it, but the Baltimore Sun is reporting that Showalter will not be named Orioles’ manager this weekend.
The link goes to a detailed breakdown between the Buck Showalter fact and Buck Showalter speculation that is well worth your time if you care at all about what’s going on in O’s land. Seems to me that, yeah, Showalter is going to get the job, but it’s not yet a done deal and anything can still happen.
Monday, 8:51 P.M.: A source tells Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse that Buck Showalter is expected to take over as Orioles manager on Saturday or Sunday.
Just yesterday, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com tweeted that the Orioles were negotiating with Showalter and that he was expected to be in uniform sometime after the All-Star break. It’s worth noting that the local beat writers have sung a decidedly different tune on this, but where there’s smoke, there’s probably some fire.
The O’s will probably play it cool over the 36 hours or so, as they don’t want to upstage the All-Star Game, but it wouldn’t be a shock to hear an official announcement on Wednesday.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)