Jul 13, 2010, 5:22 PM EDT
5:30 P.M.: It seems that the reports of Buck Showalter’s ascendancy are a bit premature. There’s nothing to suggest that deal between the Orioles and Showalter has had the kibosh placed upon it, but the Baltimore Sun is reporting that Showalter will not be named Orioles’ manager this weekend.
The link goes to a detailed breakdown between the Buck Showalter fact and Buck Showalter speculation that is well worth your time if you care at all about what’s going on in O’s land. Seems to me that, yeah, Showalter is going to get the job, but it’s not yet a done deal and anything can still happen.
Monday, 8:51 P.M.: A source tells Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse that Buck Showalter is expected to take over as Orioles manager on Saturday or Sunday.
Just yesterday, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com tweeted that the Orioles were negotiating with Showalter and that he was expected to be in uniform sometime after the All-Star break. It’s worth noting that the local beat writers have sung a decidedly different tune on this, but where there’s smoke, there’s probably some fire.
The O’s will probably play it cool over the 36 hours or so, as they don’t want to upstage the All-Star Game, but it wouldn’t be a shock to hear an official announcement on Wednesday.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 1
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 7
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 58
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 23
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)