Jul 13, 2010, 5:22 PM EDT
5:30 P.M.: It seems that the reports of Buck Showalter’s ascendancy are a bit premature. There’s nothing to suggest that deal between the Orioles and Showalter has had the kibosh placed upon it, but the Baltimore Sun is reporting that Showalter will not be named Orioles’ manager this weekend.
The link goes to a detailed breakdown between the Buck Showalter fact and Buck Showalter speculation that is well worth your time if you care at all about what’s going on in O’s land. Seems to me that, yeah, Showalter is going to get the job, but it’s not yet a done deal and anything can still happen.
Monday, 8:51 P.M.: A source tells Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse that Buck Showalter is expected to take over as Orioles manager on Saturday or Sunday.
Just yesterday, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com tweeted that the Orioles were negotiating with Showalter and that he was expected to be in uniform sometime after the All-Star break. It’s worth noting that the local beat writers have sung a decidedly different tune on this, but where there’s smoke, there’s probably some fire.
The O’s will probably play it cool over the 36 hours or so, as they don’t want to upstage the All-Star Game, but it wouldn’t be a shock to hear an official announcement on Wednesday.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)