Jul 13, 2010, 1:32 PM EST
Well, he was interviewed, anyway. His story — which you can read here — is that he was just trying to protect his kid from the foul ball raining down from the sky. Some of you took that position when it happened. As a father I kind of doubted it — your first impulse is to cover your kid or grab your kid if you’re trying to protect them from danger; I think this guy wanted the souvenir — but it’s his story and that’s fine.
My take on this remains that both Werth and the fan were wrong. The fan should have gotten himself (and his kid) out of the way for what should have been obvious to him as a playable ball, and Werth obviously overreacted.
Read the end of the guy’s interview though, and you’ll probably end up coming down more on his side than Werth’s, even if you were wavering on the point. Seems his kid is a big Werth fan and since the incident he has been all quiet and weird. Which is the same way I imagine I would have been acting if Alan Trammell or Batman or B.A. Baracus or someone like that bitched out my Dad in front of 40,000 people back in 1984.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 4
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)