Jul 13, 2010, 1:32 PM EST
Well, he was interviewed, anyway. His story — which you can read here — is that he was just trying to protect his kid from the foul ball raining down from the sky. Some of you took that position when it happened. As a father I kind of doubted it — your first impulse is to cover your kid or grab your kid if you’re trying to protect them from danger; I think this guy wanted the souvenir — but it’s his story and that’s fine.
My take on this remains that both Werth and the fan were wrong. The fan should have gotten himself (and his kid) out of the way for what should have been obvious to him as a playable ball, and Werth obviously overreacted.
Read the end of the guy’s interview though, and you’ll probably end up coming down more on his side than Werth’s, even if you were wavering on the point. Seems his kid is a big Werth fan and since the incident he has been all quiet and weird. Which is the same way I imagine I would have been acting if Alan Trammell or Batman or B.A. Baracus or someone like that bitched out my Dad in front of 40,000 people back in 1984.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)