Jul 13, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
The Red Sox have announced that they will have a moment of silence in honor of George Steinbrenner’s passing before Thursday night’s game in Fenway Park.
Highly appropriate. For as much as we get caught up in The Rivalry, it’s long been a mutually-beneficial one. Neither the Red Sox nor the Yankees would be the same without the other, and George Steinbrenner’s passion for winning did more than anything to animate the arms race which has made both the Sox and the Yankees the juggernauts that they are. The bad blood, to the extent any exists in this rivalry, are highest on the part of the fans, far less so on the part of the players and probably fairly minimal on the part of the front offices. I would be shocked if there was anything but mutual, professional respect on the executives’ part, and I totally see why they’re doing this.
Now, I’m not saying I’d bet more than a nickel on every single Sox fan in Fenway remaining silent and composed for the moment of silence, but the gesture itself is a very classy and very welcome one on behalf of the team.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)