Jul 13, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
The Red Sox have announced that they will have a moment of silence in honor of George Steinbrenner’s passing before Thursday night’s game in Fenway Park.
Highly appropriate. For as much as we get caught up in The Rivalry, it’s long been a mutually-beneficial one. Neither the Red Sox nor the Yankees would be the same without the other, and George Steinbrenner’s passion for winning did more than anything to animate the arms race which has made both the Sox and the Yankees the juggernauts that they are. The bad blood, to the extent any exists in this rivalry, are highest on the part of the fans, far less so on the part of the players and probably fairly minimal on the part of the front offices. I would be shocked if there was anything but mutual, professional respect on the executives’ part, and I totally see why they’re doing this.
Now, I’m not saying I’d bet more than a nickel on every single Sox fan in Fenway remaining silent and composed for the moment of silence, but the gesture itself is a very classy and very welcome one on behalf of the team.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)