The Red Sox will hold a moment of silence for George Steinbrenner

Jul 13, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT

The Red Sox have announced that they will have a moment of silence in honor of George Steinbrenner’s passing before Thursday night’s game in Fenway Park.

Highly appropriate. For as much as we get caught up in The Rivalry, it’s long been a mutually-beneficial one. Neither the Red Sox nor the Yankees would be the same without the other, and George Steinbrenner’s passion for winning did more than anything to animate the arms race which has made both the Sox and the Yankees the juggernauts that they are.  The bad blood, to the extent any exists in this rivalry, are highest on the part of the fans, far less so on the part of the players and probably fairly minimal on the part of the front offices. I would be shocked if there was anything but mutual, professional respect on the executives’ part, and I totally see why they’re doing this.

Now, I’m not saying I’d bet more than a nickel on every single Sox fan in Fenway remaining silent and composed for the moment of silence, but the gesture itself is a very classy and very welcome one on behalf of the team.

1. Phillyfan1 - Jul 13, 2010 at 6:01 PM

The world must be coming to an end. Good thing I hit the death pool at wok with old george kicking it today.

2. JoeSixPack - Jul 13, 2010 at 6:56 PM

As a Red Sox fan I appreciate the classy move by the Organization. In addition to the very real sports rivalry between the two cities, there’s no doubt that Steinbrenner made the rivaly more interesting and entertaining.
    That alone is worth a moment of silence.

3. Ditto65 - Jul 13, 2010 at 8:27 PM

The Red Sox understand. Most of their fans understand.
    Breathe, than win – the only proper attitude for an owner to have.
    You can love or hate the man; you can question his methods; but you cannot question his desire or his moxie.
    Stay Classy, HBT.

4. InnocentBystander - Jul 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM

“professional respect on the executives’ part”!?!…I guess we’ll overlook Red Sox president Larry Lucchino calling the Yanks ”the evil empire”. Though it may be kind of difficult since I can’t really recall any other public comments from any other Red Sox executive that would make me think there was respect.

5. Buccofan - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:18 PM

The fact that you rarely hear comments from either front office about the other tells me that there’s respect there.

6. Ditto65 - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Aaahhh, but acknowledging that the Yankees are an empire is actually a sign of respect.
    Stay Classy, HBT.

7. Wooden U Lykteneau - Jul 14, 2010 at 8:16 AM

When Joe Torre came back from is cancer scare, he got a standing ovation at Fenway. Don’t confuse the @sshole “we-were-in-college-in-2004″ Red Sox rooters with the actual fans.

8. YANKEES1996 - Jul 14, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I truly believe there is a deep respect between the two clubs, for a good number of reasons. I have attended some heated games between the Yanks and Sox at both Fenway and at Yankee Stadium and there is always the customary ribbing and rivalry but the overall atmosphere between the fans has always been good. I am glad to hear about the moment of silence, it is a fitting tribute to two organizations that have competed hard against one another in all facets of the game both on and off the field.

9. Florida727 - Jul 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I’m not a Red Sox or a Yankees fan per se, but I do enjoy watching their games v. one another. I think this move by the Red Sox organizations proves that this really is THE rivalry in all of sports to be envied. This is what a rivalry is all about: try like crazy to beat each other’s brains out, scream and yell at the hated opposition, but respect each other enough to know when it needs to be shown the appropriate amount of respect… like now. Congratulations Red Sox fans. You do support a very classy organization, and should, deservedly, be proud of them.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3305)