Jul 13, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
When the Red Sox placed Victor Martinez on the disabled list last month the expectation was that he’d be ready to return shortly after the All-Star break, but according to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe “that doesn’t appear to be the case any longer.”
Benjamin reports that “there continues to be no timeline for when Martinez will return” from a fractured thumb, for which he’s still wearing a splint.
Here’s what Martinez had to say about his status:
It’s getting a little better. Swelling’s going down. Still feeling pain, but we’ll see. Just taking it day-by-day. As soon as the pain goes down, I’m going to be able to at least put my glove on there and go out there and play. Unfortunately I just can’t put my hand in the glove. That’s the thing. Pain, still.
Jason Varitek is also on the DL with a fractured foot and likely won’t be ready to return until some point next month, so the Red Sox may be stuck with the Triple-A caliber duo of Kevin Cash and Gustavo Molina behind the plate for a while.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 27
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (111)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)