Jul 13, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
When the Red Sox placed Victor Martinez on the disabled list last month the expectation was that he’d be ready to return shortly after the All-Star break, but according to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe “that doesn’t appear to be the case any longer.”
Benjamin reports that “there continues to be no timeline for when Martinez will return” from a fractured thumb, for which he’s still wearing a splint.
Here’s what Martinez had to say about his status:
It’s getting a little better. Swelling’s going down. Still feeling pain, but we’ll see. Just taking it day-by-day. As soon as the pain goes down, I’m going to be able to at least put my glove on there and go out there and play. Unfortunately I just can’t put my hand in the glove. That’s the thing. Pain, still.
Jason Varitek is also on the DL with a fractured foot and likely won’t be ready to return until some point next month, so the Red Sox may be stuck with the Triple-A caliber duo of Kevin Cash and Gustavo Molina behind the plate for a while.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)