All-Star game gets worst television ratings of all time

Jul 14, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT

Last night’s All-Star game was the lowest-rated in television history, with just 7.5 percent of the country tuning in to see the National League’s first win since way back in 1996.
That represents a drop of 16 percent compared to last year’s game and is worse than the previous low of 8.1 percent from 2005.
Interestingly, the “host market” of Los Angeles had just 8.6 percent tuning in, whereas the previous five host markets averaged 22.8 percent. St. Louis had this year’s highest local rating at 20.5 percent.
Also of note is that ratings for the previous night’s Home Run Derby were down 22 percent from last year.
“Omar Infante, All Star” apparently did not capture the imagination of the nation.

1. Cantankerous - Jul 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Maybe they should try starting earlier and eliminate the All Star Among Us pre-game stuff that people ultimately don’t care about. Or is that too obvious?

2. Ditto65 - Jul 14, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Did I miss the game, again?
    Stay Classy, HBT.

3. Cheap Seat Chronicles - Jul 14, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Maybe it’s just me, but I think a lot of fans look at the All-Star break the same way the players do. It’s a break in the middle of a very long, often very draining season. I’m a Twins fan and the euphoria of a hot start has turned into sweating bullets every game and watching the Twins fall from one of the top teams in the game to third place. I’m burnt out as a fan, so taking three days off to recharge for the second half sounds like a damn nice treat, but again, maybe it’s just me. Anyone else feel the same way?!

4. joshpico - Jul 14, 2010 at 6:23 PM

MLB is dead. Nobody cares anymore and they have no reason to. Thank Big Mack, Barry, and Roger to name a few. The NBA is on it’s way downhill too. And for that we can thank David Stern because he has turned a man’s game into “entertainment” for white people.

5. Ditto65 - Jul 14, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I hope you are making similar claims over on PBT.
    Stay Classy, HBT.

6. scatterbrian - Jul 14, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Cue Bud Selig’s obligatory diatribe about how baseball’s popularity is at an all-time high…

7. funi - Jul 14, 2010 at 6:50 PM

ANy Bud here’s an idea.. Have the All-Star game on a SUNDAY! This is when all others major sports have their game. Have the last games be plyed on a Wed, on the Thursday any postponed games could be made up, All-Star festivities could be Friday, HR contest Saturday and All Star game start at 6:00pm! Everyone could watch it instead of starting at 8:30 pm! Get a clue now baseball morons!!!

8. scatterbrian - Jul 14, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Right? First pitch was at 50:02 on my DVR. Ridiculous.

Or maybe they could play the game on a Saturday evening. If you’re really serious about getting ratings, why the hell is the game on midweek?

9. jwb - Jul 14, 2010 at 7:22 PM

You’re saying you want baseball owners to give up mid-summer weekend gate receipts? Good luck selling that one!

10. JBerardi - Jul 14, 2010 at 8:46 PM

MLB is dead? Have you looked at their revenues lately?

11. Md23Rewls - Jul 14, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Ways to save the Home Run Derby–get a decent set of announcers (aka Fire Chris Berman), put in the top five home run hitters from each league according to the leaderboard (no more Nick Swisher or Matt Holliday in there), and most of all, chop the time down. It should not take three hours to do a Home Run Derby. I think changing the broadcast team would help. I actively muted them, and I’m a diehard fan. If I’m a casual fan, I shut the joke of a thing off. I don’t want to listen to three hours of Chris Berman cramming some canned “redemption via home run derby” storyline about David Ortiz down my throat. Seriously.
    To save the All Star Game: Kill the pre-game crap. What happens is that somebody sees the All Star Game is on at 8:00 ET, they turn it on, they see it’s still not even close to starting, and they turn it off and never go back to it. Cut down on the number of All Stars. The roster expansion was an overreaction to the tie game back in 2002(?). People want to see Albert Pujols hit. When Albert Pujols is out by the fourth inning, what’s the point? And just on a personal level, I would love to see a match-up like Mariano Rivera against Pujols or whomever, and you’re never going to get that match-up late because Pujols is long gone by that point. It would almost make more sense to do it in reverse–you have your subs play first, and gradually you put in your best players as the game goes along.

12. bunbun - Jul 14, 2010 at 9:38 PM

these sorry pukes started to choke the shit out of baseball the first time the dirty sleaze bags went on strike. Baseball has lost its lustre, meaning, importance and credibility.The sniveling millionaire ball players and idiots in the union can eat the ticks from mommas ass. Goodbye baseball. No wonder the marketing punks push soccer.

13. bunbun - Jul 14, 2010 at 9:40 PM

14. Old Gator - Jul 14, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Classy stuff. Better crawl back under your trailer before it starts to rain.
    Based on the TV ratings, it’s clear that the ridiculous idea about having the game “count” for home field advantage has been a bust in both economic as well as logical terms. Scrap it, start the game earlier than the idiotic schedule it runs on now. The fruit bats in my neighborhood are back hanging upside down from the bridge girders by the time the game ends now. Shrink the rosters and let the A team play the game, or most of it. Being selected to the roster is enough of an honor so that you don’t need to have a complete overhaul of the lineup every three innings. Let’s see those great matchups we used to look forward to.
    And get rid of that gibbering old imbecile in the commissioner’s office.

15. Chipmaker - Jul 15, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Dump most of the pre-game stuff and get the ASG off Fox, or at least get some announcers who are tolerable.

16. Md23Rewls - Jul 15, 2010 at 3:34 AM

Get it off FOX and move it to. . .? I sure as heck don’t want the ESPN guys touching it. They already ruin the Home Run Derby.
    Here’s what I think they should do: Let the home ballpark TV announcers announce the game. I don’t know how feasible that is, both for contractual reasons, and because some announcers just wouldn’t want to do it, but I’d love to get more variety. Then again, a lot of baseball’s broadcast teams suck, lol. Just retire Tim McCarver.

17. doctorfunke - Jul 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I agree with you. It’s nice to have a few days off when you know there are no games to fret over. And yes, the Twins are making it way more interesting than it should be. Here’s hoping they can get it going again.

18. scatterbrian - Jul 15, 2010 at 3:11 PM

“Being selected to the roster is enough of an honor so that you don’t need to have a complete overhaul of the lineup every three innings.”

Not to mention the bonuses most of these guys get for taking three days off… But that’s about as simple as it gets.

19. jabberwock - Jul 15, 2010 at 3:20 PM

If I had to watch, and, especially listen, Joe Buck and Tim McCarver butcher just about every aspect of calling a game, I would turn out too. Between their inanities and Joe Girardi’s comically bad managing , the whole thing looked like an episode from The Gong Show. But I seem to remember it used to get good ratings.

20. jabberwock - Jul 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM