Jul 14, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
On the disabled list since mid-May with a fractured forearm that required surgery, Asdrubal Cabrera went 2-for-6 with a double in his first two rehab games at Single-A and is scheduled to move up to Double-A tonight.
Cabrera is more or less right on schedule with the 8-10 week timetable he was given at the time of the injury and sounds optimistic about returning to Cleveland by the end of the month:
Everything is going good right now. I feel good. I’m starting to feel a little bit stronger, too, and that’s the most important thing for me. I don’t know for sure how many games I’ve got in Akron. I think I’ve got to play more than two games. I’ve got to go to the trainer, depending on how I feel and how everything is going. I think I’m playing a couple more, around five, six games, then I’m going back to the team.
Jason Donald has filled in for Cabrera at shortstop, starting 38 of 52 games there while hitting .274/.329/.455, and the 25-year-old acquired from the Phillies in the Cliff Lee trade figures to remain in the lineup at second base (or maybe third base, if the Indians find a taker for Jhonny Peralta) once Cabrera returns.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)