Jul 14, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
On the disabled list since mid-May with a fractured forearm that required surgery, Asdrubal Cabrera went 2-for-6 with a double in his first two rehab games at Single-A and is scheduled to move up to Double-A tonight.
Cabrera is more or less right on schedule with the 8-10 week timetable he was given at the time of the injury and sounds optimistic about returning to Cleveland by the end of the month:
Everything is going good right now. I feel good. I’m starting to feel a little bit stronger, too, and that’s the most important thing for me. I don’t know for sure how many games I’ve got in Akron. I think I’ve got to play more than two games. I’ve got to go to the trainer, depending on how I feel and how everything is going. I think I’m playing a couple more, around five, six games, then I’m going back to the team.
Jason Donald has filled in for Cabrera at shortstop, starting 38 of 52 games there while hitting .274/.329/.455, and the 25-year-old acquired from the Phillies in the Cliff Lee trade figures to remain in the lineup at second base (or maybe third base, if the Indians find a taker for Jhonny Peralta) once Cabrera returns.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 18
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 66
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)