Jul 14, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
On the disabled list since mid-May with a fractured forearm that required surgery, Asdrubal Cabrera went 2-for-6 with a double in his first two rehab games at Single-A and is scheduled to move up to Double-A tonight.
Cabrera is more or less right on schedule with the 8-10 week timetable he was given at the time of the injury and sounds optimistic about returning to Cleveland by the end of the month:
Everything is going good right now. I feel good. I’m starting to feel a little bit stronger, too, and that’s the most important thing for me. I don’t know for sure how many games I’ve got in Akron. I think I’ve got to play more than two games. I’ve got to go to the trainer, depending on how I feel and how everything is going. I think I’m playing a couple more, around five, six games, then I’m going back to the team.
Jason Donald has filled in for Cabrera at shortstop, starting 38 of 52 games there while hitting .274/.329/.455, and the 25-year-old acquired from the Phillies in the Cliff Lee trade figures to remain in the lineup at second base (or maybe third base, if the Indians find a taker for Jhonny Peralta) once Cabrera returns.
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 3
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 23
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)