Jul 14, 2010, 2:47 PM EST
On the disabled list since mid-May with a fractured forearm that required surgery, Asdrubal Cabrera went 2-for-6 with a double in his first two rehab games at Single-A and is scheduled to move up to Double-A tonight.
Cabrera is more or less right on schedule with the 8-10 week timetable he was given at the time of the injury and sounds optimistic about returning to Cleveland by the end of the month:
Everything is going good right now. I feel good. I’m starting to feel a little bit stronger, too, and that’s the most important thing for me. I don’t know for sure how many games I’ve got in Akron. I think I’ve got to play more than two games. I’ve got to go to the trainer, depending on how I feel and how everything is going. I think I’m playing a couple more, around five, six games, then I’m going back to the team.
Jason Donald has filled in for Cabrera at shortstop, starting 38 of 52 games there while hitting .274/.329/.455, and the 25-year-old acquired from the Phillies in the Cliff Lee trade figures to remain in the lineup at second base (or maybe third base, if the Indians find a taker for Jhonny Peralta) once Cabrera returns.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)