Jul 14, 2010, 11:44 AM EDT
In news agent Scott Boras will surely bring up in contract negotiations next month, No. 1 overall pick Bryce Harper has been named the “Golden Spikes Award” winner as the country’s top amateur player.
Harper is an unconventional choice because he left high school early and enrolled in junior college, batting .443 with 31 homers and 98 RBIs in 66 games at the College of Southern Nevada. He becomes just the second Golden Spikes Award recipient from a junior college, following Alex Fernandez in 1990.
Mississippi pitcher Drew Pomeranz, Central Florida outfielder Chris Duffy, Miami catcher Yasmani Grandal, and Florida Gulf Coast pitcher Chris Sale were the other finalists for the award, with Harper beating out Pomeranz by just one vote out of 102 ballots cast. Pomeranz was selected by the Indians with the fifth overall pick last month.
Harper’s future teammate Stephen Strasburg won the award last year and Giants catcher/first baseman Buster Posey captured it in 2008. Harper and Strasburg are two of just seven Golden Spikes Award winners to be drafted No. 1 overall, along with David Price, Pat Burrell, Phil Nevin, Ben McDonald, and Bob Horner. And now the Nationals have until August 15 to sign him.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (105)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)