Jul 14, 2010, 11:44 AM EDT
In news agent Scott Boras will surely bring up in contract negotiations next month, No. 1 overall pick Bryce Harper has been named the “Golden Spikes Award” winner as the country’s top amateur player.
Harper is an unconventional choice because he left high school early and enrolled in junior college, batting .443 with 31 homers and 98 RBIs in 66 games at the College of Southern Nevada. He becomes just the second Golden Spikes Award recipient from a junior college, following Alex Fernandez in 1990.
Mississippi pitcher Drew Pomeranz, Central Florida outfielder Chris Duffy, Miami catcher Yasmani Grandal, and Florida Gulf Coast pitcher Chris Sale were the other finalists for the award, with Harper beating out Pomeranz by just one vote out of 102 ballots cast. Pomeranz was selected by the Indians with the fifth overall pick last month.
Harper’s future teammate Stephen Strasburg won the award last year and Giants catcher/first baseman Buster Posey captured it in 2008. Harper and Strasburg are two of just seven Golden Spikes Award winners to be drafted No. 1 overall, along with David Price, Pat Burrell, Phil Nevin, Ben McDonald, and Bob Horner. And now the Nationals have until August 15 to sign him.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)