Jul 14, 2010, 11:44 AM EDT
In news agent Scott Boras will surely bring up in contract negotiations next month, No. 1 overall pick Bryce Harper has been named the “Golden Spikes Award” winner as the country’s top amateur player.
Harper is an unconventional choice because he left high school early and enrolled in junior college, batting .443 with 31 homers and 98 RBIs in 66 games at the College of Southern Nevada. He becomes just the second Golden Spikes Award recipient from a junior college, following Alex Fernandez in 1990.
Mississippi pitcher Drew Pomeranz, Central Florida outfielder Chris Duffy, Miami catcher Yasmani Grandal, and Florida Gulf Coast pitcher Chris Sale were the other finalists for the award, with Harper beating out Pomeranz by just one vote out of 102 ballots cast. Pomeranz was selected by the Indians with the fifth overall pick last month.
Harper’s future teammate Stephen Strasburg won the award last year and Giants catcher/first baseman Buster Posey captured it in 2008. Harper and Strasburg are two of just seven Golden Spikes Award winners to be drafted No. 1 overall, along with David Price, Pat Burrell, Phil Nevin, Ben McDonald, and Bob Horner. And now the Nationals have until August 15 to sign him.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)