Jul 14, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
The WAR folks like Yunel apparently. I know this, Bobby Cox hated going to war with this guy.
— Jon Heyman, slamming sabermetrics and Yunel Escobar in one beautifully facepalm-inducing tweet.
I actually see this trade more like Heyman does than like a lot of my friends in the sabermetric community because I have always had this sense that Escobar is something less than the sum of his parts. But a few hours in, I think both the pro-Escobar and the anti-Escobar sides have overplayed their hands a bit. This kind of thing from Heyman — and especially this overheated hit job by the AJC’s Mark Bradley (Really? His English is the issue?) — seem a bit much. At the same time, a lot of the more sabermetrically-oriented analysis of the deal discounts the Braves’ distaste for Escobar a bit too much.
This is a trade that could really go either way. The Braves should be given some benefit of the doubt about their judgment here because they know the guy more than any of us ever will be able to. Likewise, those opposed to the trade from the Braves’ perspective are absolutely right to note that the Braves are selling low and could wind up really getting burned. In light of this currently-unresolvable ambiguity, everyone should probably tone it down a bit.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)