UPDATE: OK, so maybe Joey Votto wasn't being rude

Jul 14, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT

UPDATE: Upon a few hours of reflection I’m fairly certain I
totally whiffed
here. I haven’t seen video of Votto’s comments (I based my post on ESPN
Chicago’s linked story), but logic suggests that Votto’s tone here
probably
mattered a hell of a lot and it’s entirely possible, if not probable,
that Votto was goofing off a bit here. When I read it through the first
time I assumed that
Votto’s comments was a straight up “I really didn’t want to congratulate
Marlon Byrd” thing, and both re-reading the story and using basic
common sense, I don’t think it’s fair to assume that. I’m not saying I
totally endorse the “I don’t like the Cubs” preamble to his answer, but
that’s kind of minor if, indeed, Votto was being a little tongue in
cheek.

If I had to do the post over again — and since it’s the
Internet, you
can’t really erase what you did before — I probably would have just
made it a stand alone “quote of the day” and let you all try to
figure out what the hell Votto was getting at if anything rather than
make the assumption I made.

Not trying to use it as an excuse, but I write close to 100 posts a week
and, dammit, not all of them are going to be good. This is one of those
not-good ones. Apologies.

4:15 P.M: Dave at Big League Stew alerted me to this bit of lunacy from Joey Votto yesterday, when asked to comment on Marlon Byrd making a couple of key plays to help lead the NL to victory:

“I don’t like the Cubs.  And I’m not going to pat anybody
with a Cubs uniform on the back. But because he made that really cool
play, it turned out to be a really cool experience. I’m really glad we
got the win today.”

Thanks for the win, but no thanks to you, Byrd. I’m sure there are a ton of old timers who would say that they were never friendly with the opposition, but coming in this day and age, in reference to a guy who — at least in the context of yesterday — was Votto’s own teammate, this comes off as really damn juvenile.

This is especially true directed at Byrd who — based on what people have told me — is a really, really nice guy who would probably be high-fiving Votto if the situations were reversed.

1. birdmancometh - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:26 PM

They’re rivals. I’m cool with this. I like the competitiveness. If I’m a Reds fan I love to hear that he hates the Cubs.

2. birdmancometh - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:26 PM

By the way…how is this rude, but what Jon Lester said is not?

3. Lt. Colombo - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I imagine video versus transcript may change interpretations here.
    But really? This is being rude? I commend anyone who refuses to be near a Cub.
    On the other hand, maybe Craig is saying that – for a Canadian – this is being rude.

4. Jonny5 - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Well who was out there doing the triple butt bump? I saw it!! Anyway, the way these guys get traded like Topps cards, you’d think they’d all be cool with eachother. Being they could play together one day.

5. YankeesfanLen - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I’m all for competitiveness and every thing, but someone should tell these kids that it’s more of an exhibition and should be treated more like a Shriner’s convention than the World Series, for corn’s sake.

6. lar @ wezen-ball - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:40 PM

You have *got* to read the “Answer Man” column linked at the end of the piece, when Dave interviewed Votto in his off-the-wall way early last year. Votto obviously was having a hard time getting into it. It’s a bummer, because it felt like that was a pretty loose, fun clubhouse. Dave was probably just the victim of really bad timing. Still, it’s too bad.

7. Mr. Heyward - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:42 PM

As Votto hit’s 30, but puts up one big summer in a contract year, then he’ll be signed long-term for more money than he’s worth by….the Cubs. Suckers all around.

8. Ditto65 - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I would get behind what this Votto kid is sayin’, but I don’t like the Reds. And I’m not going to pat anybody in a Reds uniform on the back. But because he made a really cool comment, it turned out to be a really cool experience.
    Stay Classy, HBT

9. TMW - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Yawn

10. Proudly Canadian - Jul 14, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I don’t like the Cubs either, but I do pity them. Votto’s comment was probably a bit of dead pan Canadian humour (note Canadian spelling). As far as Craig is concerned, I have never met him, but I am not a fan of many of his posts.

11. funi - Jul 14, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Finally someone put the stinking Cubs in thier place! Hey Cub fans, win a world series every 100 years or so….

12. Secretary Cleary - Jul 14, 2010 at 7:04 PM

@ Proudly Canadian – Craig’s the best writer this side of Joe Posnanski/Rob Neyer/Ann Coulter there is. Take off hoser!

13. LuisMendoza - Jul 15, 2010 at 9:47 AM

I think David Brown just has a beef with Votto. Read his interview with him. Votto clearly thinks he’s an idiot, and Brown’s offended. I think Votto’s a weird dude, but Brown’s using his internet pedestal to create a controversy that really isn’t there.

14. WhoDeySood5 - Jul 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM

i agree, I am a Reds fan….since birth, and I LOVE the fact that A. the Reds are finally back w/pitching and hitting and B. Votto is a stud who speaks his mind…btw he’s also one of the quietest guys on our team, so to hear him say this was really shocking. Also loved how after Rolen went 1st to 3rd B-Phil was heard saying ” That’s right, That’s how we do it in Cincinnati”…..love this new look/new attitude club!

15. MVD - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Crap like this makes me angry. The national pays attention to one rivalry. Yankees – Red Sox. Thats it. Maybe, maybe Dodgers – Giants. They can’t put themselves in our shoes and they dont get it. But out of numerous possible team vs team combinations in the National League, I’m guessing that Cubs – Reds is the 5th most intense rivalry, and that’s if Mets – Phillies really matters. Dodgers – Giants, Cubs – Cardinals, Cubs – Brewers, Cubs – Reds or Mets – Phillies. We HATE the Cubs. I’m pretty Cubs fans hate us. There is no reason Joey Votto, or any Red, should like the Cubs. Otherwise, he’s on the wrong team. Does Nick Swisher like J.D. Drew? Does A-Rod like Big Papi? Does Andre Ethier like Tim Lincecum? For that matter, did Marlon Byrd congratulate Brian McCann on his double that really won the game? Did Ryan Howard? Did David Wright? Joey Votto not liking the Cubs makes him even more my favorite player. This is not a story.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS