John Sickels projects Rick 'Wild Thing' Vaughn's career stats

Jul 14, 2010, 4:48 PM EDT

I find stuff like this endlessly amusing.
After no doubt watching Major League for the umpteenth time, prospect guru John Sickels decided to take a stab at projecting Rick “Wild Thing” Vaughn’s career numbers, including transactions and injuries and all sorts of stats.
Someone really needs to do this for every character in every baseball movie, if only because I always suspected Roger Dorn was underrated and the kid who broke his arm in Rookie of the Year probably had a worse WHIP than you’d think.

1. Stichey - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I would love to see Crash Davis from Bull Durham – Minor League Home Run leader as a lefty hitting catcher who can’t seem to catch on in the majors. I mean, REALLY, how’s that for bad luck!

2. Mr. Heyward - Jul 14, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I don’t know why, but those numbers seem wildly accurate to me…

3. tjwilliams - Jul 14, 2010 at 5:57 PM

If I’m reading that correctly, Vaughn goes down in July of 1992 and misses all of 1993 after Tommy John surgery. Sounds about right.

4. Cantankerous - Jul 14, 2010 at 6:06 PM

This kind of reminds me of some t-shirts they made about 15 years ago with Looney Tunes characters and their stats.

5. adam - Jul 14, 2010 at 7:59 PM

No freaking way. NO FREAKING WAY.

There is no way Rick “Wild Thing” Vaughn strikes out less than a batter per inning. The WHIP I can agree with, the W/L record and ERA, sure.

But if there’s one thing that movie taught me, it’s that Wild Thing gets the Ks like Chamberlain got the ladies…whenever he wanted.

6. JBerardi - Jul 14, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Right? In real life, Crash would probably at least have Kevin Cash’s career. Cash has a lifetime .186/.250/.285 batting line in the majors and he’s still always on somebody’s 40-man. If you can catch a game at the major league level, you can hang around forever… there’s just not enough catchers in the world to go around, and teams always need to have multiple layers of redundancy at that position.

7. TMW - Jul 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM

1990 is crazy generous. Look, I know he was dealing after they put the specs on him, but 10 HRs allowed and an ERA finishing under 4 after getting handled for the first 2-3 months of the season?

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win