Jon Lester is not a Hanley Ramirez fan

Jul 14, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT

Fun little post-All-Star Game anecdote from FanHouse’s Josh Alper involving Jon Lester:

Jon Lester and Hanley Ramirez were once teammates in the Red Sox
minor league system but were on opposite sides of the All-Star Game on
Tuesday night. Lester retired Ramirez on a bouncer back to the mound and
after the game he was asked if he and Ramirez had ever gone out for
pizza and fantasized about being in the Midsummer Classic while they
were on their way up the baseball ladder.

It’s a silly question, but Lester didn’t have a particularly jokey
response.

“I’d have a better chance of being struck by lightning than me and
him getting a pizza together,” Lester said. “You can take that for what
it’s worth. But there was no chance on God’s green earth that I was
getting a pizza with him.”

Lester hasn’t played with Ramirez for five years. If his response is that sharp now, imagine how he felt about old Hanley back in the day. Wowza.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 14, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I’m guessing there aren’t too many Hanley fans out in the world. The guy is a piece of work…and we all saw that with how he treated his manager.

2. Md23Rewls - Jul 14, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Not that Ramirez isn’t a piece of work, but I’ve heard that Lester’s kind of a jackass, too. They deserve each other?

3. Mr. Heyward - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I’m a fan of Hanley, Kobe, Lebron, Tiger and T.O. b/c they are all great players and great at what they do. One cannot turn away from witnessing their prowess within each of their respective professions. Yes, they also all happen to come off as douchenozzles (some more than others). Who cares? Just don’t eat a pizza pie with them if one of them invites you.
    P.S. If you’re invited for pizza by any of the above and you don’t go…who’s the douchenozzle?

4. John - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:08 PM

where have you heard that? i’ve never heard anything to that effect and lester’s always seemed like a classy dude (i’m a sawx fan so i’ve watched him plenty), but you know, he did have cancer…maybe people got a little bit swept up in his survival story or something. still, i can’t imagine he’s a jackass these days, but maybe when he was coming up or something.

5. Schlom - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Well, it was also probably before Hanley spoke good English so we don’t want to make too much out of this.

6. Md23Rewls - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I have a friend who covered an MLB team (not Boston) and he said Lester was really standoff-ish and arrogant. I took it as a general vibe sort of thing, not anything specific. My friend wasn’t in Boston for very long, just one series (I believe) so it’s not like I have a TON to go on here.

7. Paper Lions - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Pretty much what I was thinking. Five years ago they were kids from different cultures who didn’t speak a common language. That combination can lead to a great many misunderstandings and many portions of society are not particularly fond of differences in language or ethos.

8. TMW - Jul 14, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Seriously, what the hell was Lester thinking saying this to the press? This is such a stupid soundbite just asking to be taken the wrong way (Lester is a jerk, Lester is racist, etc.). Careless quote.

9. lobozooma - Jul 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Maybe Hanley is lactose intolerant??

10. Old Gator - Jul 14, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Well, Zorba the Greek once said something like, there are many sins and God will forgive all of them but one, and that is if a teammate invites you for a pizza and you do not go.
    Or something like that. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen the film.

11. G2 - Jul 14, 2010 at 6:48 PM

I guess I am. Because I think Kobe Bryant is a sociopath and wouldn’t want to share a table with him. And I think he’d try to make me pay and if I didn’t, he’d probably try to stick things where they don’t belong.
    the rest of the guys, I would gladly share a pizza with.

12. JBerardi - Jul 14, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Surprising. I can’t remember hearing Lester say anything negative about any other player ever.

13. quint - Jul 14, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I get standoff-ish with Lester, particulary for travelling journalists, but you can’t judge arrogance in the short term.
    Given the way the Red Sox love Lester in every way shape and form I cannot possibly think he is a bad guy or arrogant.
    TMW is right though, he probably should have just said nothing. But from the sounds of it, Hanley was quite arrogant in the Sox system, no different if not worse than he has been in Florida this year and his comments about his former manager.
    Given Ramirez has made ‘mistakes’ at the MLB level, and Lester really hasn’t, you would have to say it is likely Ramirez made mistakes in the minors and Lester wouldn’t have liked that.

14. John - Jul 15, 2010 at 1:43 AM

interesting. i feel like all of the coverage of him in boston has been extremely positive…but then again he’s the ace of our staff, could have something to do with it.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3163)