Jul 14, 2010, 8:55 AM EDT
I had missed the speculation that Brewers’ manager Ken Macha might get fired today, but I guess I didn’t really miss anything after all, because Doug Melvin is already shooting that talk down. Tom Haudricourt:
I just spoke on the telephone with general manager Doug Melvin and he
said unequivocally that he will not be changing managers on Wednesday.
“I’m not a big believer in interim managers,” said Melvin, reached at
his office at Miller Park. “If things get to the point where you see no
fight in the players, that’s different.”
Ned Yost and Dale Sveum beg to differ on that interim manager point, but I get what Melvin is saying. Like I’ve said a few times, the Brewers stink this year, but it doesn’t feel like a function of Ken Macha’s ineffectiveness. There just isn’t any starting pitching in Milwaukee.
On that count, Melvin says that he’s “not actively shopping” anyone, including Corey Hart. General Manager-ese, it sounds to me. When three teams call you about a guy I suppose you’re not “actively shopping,” but people are definitely soliciting, and unless you hang up on them, you’re just as much part of the transaction.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)