Jul 14, 2010, 8:55 AM EDT
I had missed the speculation that Brewers’ manager Ken Macha might get fired today, but I guess I didn’t really miss anything after all, because Doug Melvin is already shooting that talk down. Tom Haudricourt:
I just spoke on the telephone with general manager Doug Melvin and he
said unequivocally that he will not be changing managers on Wednesday.
“I’m not a big believer in interim managers,” said Melvin, reached at
his office at Miller Park. “If things get to the point where you see no
fight in the players, that’s different.”
Ned Yost and Dale Sveum beg to differ on that interim manager point, but I get what Melvin is saying. Like I’ve said a few times, the Brewers stink this year, but it doesn’t feel like a function of Ken Macha’s ineffectiveness. There just isn’t any starting pitching in Milwaukee.
On that count, Melvin says that he’s “not actively shopping” anyone, including Corey Hart. General Manager-ese, it sounds to me. When three teams call you about a guy I suppose you’re not “actively shopping,” but people are definitely soliciting, and unless you hang up on them, you’re just as much part of the transaction.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)