Jul 14, 2010, 8:55 AM EDT
I had missed the speculation that Brewers’ manager Ken Macha might get fired today, but I guess I didn’t really miss anything after all, because Doug Melvin is already shooting that talk down. Tom Haudricourt:
I just spoke on the telephone with general manager Doug Melvin and he
said unequivocally that he will not be changing managers on Wednesday.
“I’m not a big believer in interim managers,” said Melvin, reached at
his office at Miller Park. “If things get to the point where you see no
fight in the players, that’s different.”
Ned Yost and Dale Sveum beg to differ on that interim manager point, but I get what Melvin is saying. Like I’ve said a few times, the Brewers stink this year, but it doesn’t feel like a function of Ken Macha’s ineffectiveness. There just isn’t any starting pitching in Milwaukee.
On that count, Melvin says that he’s “not actively shopping” anyone, including Corey Hart. General Manager-ese, it sounds to me. When three teams call you about a guy I suppose you’re not “actively shopping,” but people are definitely soliciting, and unless you hang up on them, you’re just as much part of the transaction.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 11
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 46
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 51
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 44
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)