Jul 14, 2010, 8:55 AM EDT
I had missed the speculation that Brewers’ manager Ken Macha might get fired today, but I guess I didn’t really miss anything after all, because Doug Melvin is already shooting that talk down. Tom Haudricourt:
I just spoke on the telephone with general manager Doug Melvin and he
said unequivocally that he will not be changing managers on Wednesday.
“I’m not a big believer in interim managers,” said Melvin, reached at
his office at Miller Park. “If things get to the point where you see no
fight in the players, that’s different.”
Ned Yost and Dale Sveum beg to differ on that interim manager point, but I get what Melvin is saying. Like I’ve said a few times, the Brewers stink this year, but it doesn’t feel like a function of Ken Macha’s ineffectiveness. There just isn’t any starting pitching in Milwaukee.
On that count, Melvin says that he’s “not actively shopping” anyone, including Corey Hart. General Manager-ese, it sounds to me. When three teams call you about a guy I suppose you’re not “actively shopping,” but people are definitely soliciting, and unless you hang up on them, you’re just as much part of the transaction.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)