Jul 14, 2010, 10:44 AM EDT
Tomorrow will mark exactly one year since Pedro Martinez signed with the Phillies after sitting out the first half, but don’t expect a similar scenario for the future Hall of Famer this season.
In speaking yesterday to Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr., agent Fernando Cuza revealed that Martinez has yet to even begin throwing off a mound.
Todd Zolecki of MLB.com writes that we can “cross Martinez off the Phillies’ list of potential pitching help for the second half” because “Amaro would not say there’s zero chance the Phillies bring back Martinez, but you only need to read between the lines to know he won’t be back.”
And at this point it seems unclear whether Martinez plans to pitch at all this season.
He previously talked about wanting to sit out the first half and join a contender for the stretch run again, but it’s already mid-July and he’s certainly not preparing for that to be a reality. Not only was Martinez throwing regularly at this same point last year, he had actually pitched against high-level competition during the World Baseball Classic. And even then his Phillies debut didn’t come until a month after he signed.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)