Jul 14, 2010, 10:44 AM EDT
Tomorrow will mark exactly one year since Pedro Martinez signed with the Phillies after sitting out the first half, but don’t expect a similar scenario for the future Hall of Famer this season.
In speaking yesterday to Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr., agent Fernando Cuza revealed that Martinez has yet to even begin throwing off a mound.
Todd Zolecki of MLB.com writes that we can “cross Martinez off the Phillies’ list of potential pitching help for the second half” because “Amaro would not say there’s zero chance the Phillies bring back Martinez, but you only need to read between the lines to know he won’t be back.”
And at this point it seems unclear whether Martinez plans to pitch at all this season.
He previously talked about wanting to sit out the first half and join a contender for the stretch run again, but it’s already mid-July and he’s certainly not preparing for that to be a reality. Not only was Martinez throwing regularly at this same point last year, he had actually pitched against high-level competition during the World Baseball Classic. And even then his Phillies debut didn’t come until a month after he signed.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)