Rush Limbaugh calls Steinbrenner a "cracker"

Jul 14, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT

Note: when you and Al Sharpton are both quoted in a news article, and Sharpton comes off 100 times more reasonable than you do, you probably need to be confined someplace where you can’t do harm to yourself or others. Or at the very least, be fitted with a special helmet. Rush Limbaugh’s comments on the passing of George Steinbrenner, ladies and gentlemen:

“That cracker made a lot of African-American millionaires . . . He fired a bunch of white guys as managers left and
right.”

I try not to get too political around here, but let me say this much: if your first thought about George Steinbrenner’s legacy was the race of some of the players who played for him and the managers he fired, what don’t you see in primarily racial terms?  And if you see every issue that crosses your radar screen in primarily racial terms, what good are you as a political pundit?

None, really. You’re just an inciter and, in all likelihood, a jackass who can’t even be useful to people who subscribe to your political beliefs in the first place.  I’m a big pinko, of course, but even if I was a far right conservative, I’d have to seriously question what value Limbaugh has to the issues that were important to me given his racial fixation.

Limbaugh was forced to resign from his ESPN football gig several years ago because he thought Donovan McNabb was overrated by the media because he was black. That was dumb.  His comments about Steinbrenner are far, far dumber. I ignore him approximately 99.9999999% of the time as it is. I really wish he’d stay the heck out of sports so I can ignore him the other .0000001% of the time as well.

1. Richard - Jul 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM

If you ignore him 99.99% of the time, you are no more qualified to comment on this than I am to comment on you.
    And you are . . .?

2. Richard - Jul 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Craig, if you had any significant national profile and were a conservative, do you have any idea the firestorm you would create with your use of the term “loony Negroes”?
    Or is context and background important to understanding you?
    I wouldn’t know. I ignore you 99.999999% of the time.
    If you didn’t ignore Limbaugh even 10% of the time, you would know that he’s not a racist. How, exactly, would you go about explaining his close friendships with Fred Hutchinson and Walter Williams. Or his long time, well paid production and station manager, James Golden?

3. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 14, 2010 at 1:47 PM

One need not be a racist to race bait. Limbaugh used to work for the Kansas City Royals. Accounts about him at the time reveal him to have been a nice, funny, harmlessly oddball fellow that no one ever had those kinds of issues with. I don’t know what’s in Limbaugh’s heart or mind, and you’ll note I did not call him a racist. But he cynically caters to such sentiments.
    And just for future reference: saying that one employs and is friends with black people is generally not considered a defense to accusations of racism. In fact, it’s the oldest phony defense to such accusations known to man.

4. Glenn - Jul 14, 2010 at 1:56 PM

The bottom line in all of this is that there are not enough old rich white men in the country to support Republicans and get them elected so they have to appeal to the populist masses and get them to vote against their own best interest. Sadly they have latched on to racism and gay bashing to win them over and have fomented a horrible atmosphere of ignorance, hate, and anti-intellectualism. A true and good conservative such as William F Buckley must be spinning in his grave. Rush wouldn’t continue to get away with overt racism if we didn’t allow it to work.

5. Richard - Jul 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Craig:
    Pointing out that someone is not racist by citing associations is legitimate. You are pulling out the old liberal chestnut of a phony retort and condescending lecture that doesn’t address or refute the comment in any way.
    And in the process, you confirm that you were indeed accusing Limbaugh of being a racist.
    You are not a racist I would suppose, so your intention today was to race bait?
    There are two sides to the mirror, Alice.

6. JBerardi - Jul 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM

You don’t have to BE a racist do DO racist things. Limbaugh has built his entire career on race bating. I don’t care what’s in his heart and his mind. I care about his words and actions.

7. APBA Guy - Jul 14, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Let me guess, reading comprehension was not your standardized test strength.

8. shelbydawkins - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Rush will you do everybody a favor and just please, please, please just die yourself? It’s not like anyone would miss you. I know I wouldn’t.

9. SoDakMan - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Rush is bigger then the NAACP?

10. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 14, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Not historically, certainly, and not in terms of what he and the NAACP actually do on the ground, no. But I would argue that purely in terms of how many people are moved to action or belief by what they say in 2010, yes, Limbaugh is “bigger” than the NAACP.
    FWIW, I found the NAACP’s condemnation of the tea party yesterday to be silly, and a similar example to what Limbaugh is doing here (i.e. highlighting a fringe in order to try and score larger political points). If the NAACP-tea party thing had anything to do with baseball, I would have made a mention of it.

11. Gary - Jul 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM

While Limbaugh is a great American, Calcaterra is a yeast infected vagina. Since he has chosen to turn this blog into The Daily Kos, I have chosen to delete this blog and all PMSNBC blogs from my Google Reader.

12. Jimsjam33 - Jul 15, 2010 at 2:41 AM

Mr. Steinbrenner died yesterday . Did you honor or memoralize his contributions to the Yankee organziation and New York City . No . did you drop a card or write a piece to show compassion for the Steinbrenner family ? No .
    Your tribute was to write a story about hatred , name calling , and slander . Mr. Calcaterra you are a miniscule pea in a giantic pod of Progressive philosophy spew .
    George Steinbrenner died yesterday .
    To the Steinbrenner family , I apoligize for Mr. Calcaterra and MSNBC for their callous , rude , and un-godly tirade about Rush Limbaugh for no sensical reason . May peace and compassion comfort your days of mourning .

13. bbeer - Jul 15, 2010 at 1:48 PM

that was a lame one Gator. But damn Limbaugh…I don’t think he necessarily meant it in a negative context. I’d have to read/see the whole thing before I jump to conclusions, unlike the media.

14. Dan in Katonah - Jul 15, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Um, I saw at least 6 articles posted on this site about Steinbrenner before the Limbaugh one. What I have not seen is any link or evidence showing that Limbaugh was responding to a comment by the New Black Panthers in which they referred to Steinbrenner as a “cracker.” You guys keep running this around and around, but without that, all we have is Limbaugh “defending” Steinbrenner from an imaginary attack to get his mug in the middle of the news.
    So where is that link?

15. jabberwock - Jul 15, 2010 at 3:29 PM

As of last count, and I guess I am adding 1 to that now, 89 people have commented on what this asshole had to say. Only in America would a “cracker” like Rush Limbaugh get this much face time.

16. Knight-of-God - Jul 17, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Rush is a fat jackass who just needs to shuit his mouth. What a piece of human waste he is.

17. zac - Jul 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Craig probably doesn’t post anything about “killing babies” because, like Limbaugh’s statements about the race of the people Steinbrenner paid money to over the years, it has nothing to do with anything.

18. FMelius - Jul 26, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Dan, here’s your link:
    (see my original post from 7/14)

19. Cleareye - Jul 29, 2010 at 1:22 PM

As a card carrying member of the ACLU I am glad Limbaugh has a podium from which to be heard. He is consistently the most beneficial voice for progressive politics in the country. Keep going Rush, we love what you say. You’re a “great American.”

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2503)