Torii Hunter had an exhausting All-Star weekend

Jul 14, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT

Torii Hunter drank a lot of "Pepsi" this week.

Torii Hunter played up the “I’m hosting All-Star week” angle pretty good this week. And he’s insanely popular among other ballplayers, so I have no doubt that he had a lot of hosting to do. He talks about it in the video below. Fun activity: watch the wink he gives before he says “Pepsi” and then fill in what you think he was really talking about.

1. Joe - Jul 14, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Coke?

2. SportsME23 - Jul 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Grape soda?

3. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 14, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I am SHOCKED, after he said the following, you still post things from this racist nut-job…
    “Fans look down from their seats onto the baseball field, see dark-colored skin and might assume they are African-American players. But increasingly, the players instead hail from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico or Venezuela.
    “People see dark faces out there, and the perception is that they’re African American,” Los Angeles Angels center fielder Torii Hunter says. “They’re not us. They’re impostors.
    “Even people I know come up and say, ‘Hey, what color is Vladimir Guerrero? Is he a black player?’ I say, ‘Come on, he’s Dominican. He’s not black.’ ”
    “As African-American players, we have a theory that baseball can go get an imitator and pass them off as us,” Hunter says. “It’s like they had to get some kind of dark faces, so they go to the Dominican or Venezuela because you can get them cheaper. It’s like, ‘Why should I get this kid from the South Side of Chicago and have Scott Boras represent him and pay him $5 million when you can get a Dominican guy for a bag of chips?’
    “I’m telling you, it’s sad.””

4. MG19 - Jul 14, 2010 at 11:43 AM

amphetamines? wouldn’t put it past majorleaguers; very common in collegeball

5. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 14, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Chris — if you search the archives, you’ll see that I took Hunter to task for his comments. I understand you’re not happy that I criticized Rush Limbaugh today, but you should probably do a little research before you start accusing me of stacking the deck.

6. dprat - Jul 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Anyone who understands anything knows that “coke” + wink =… Moxie!

7. adam - Jul 14, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I am growing less and less fond of Torii Hunter. After the comments he made regarding Joe Mauer not being able to play through injuries in 2008 (when Hunter himself has missed an average of 27 games per year from 1999 – 2009) and then the stupid comments Chris referenced and now his rip of his Angels teammates, how the hell can people like him?

I understand he can give a good quote, but the guy seems like he’s just a jackass.

8. Jonny5 - Jul 14, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Well I hope you’ll tell us, because I’m curious and don’t have a clue. I just figured it’s because Pepsi was paying him and he almost flat out said it was the Red Bull that kept him going…

9. Jacob - Jul 14, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I agree with Jonny. I think it was a nod to his Pepsi sponsorship rather than an implicit acknowledgment of something else.

10. Duck Fallas - Jul 14, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Purple Drank

11. Ditto65 - Jul 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Wrong league.
    Stay Classy, HBT.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3461)