Jul 15, 2010, 4:12 PM EST
Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse is reporting that Adrian Gonzalez will seek an eight
year deal when he becomes a free agent after the 2011 season.
That would seem to be the going length for stud first baseman contracts in light of the Mark Teixeira
deal. But of course (a) that was handed out by the Yankees — who won’t be handing one out to Gonzalez; and (b) Gonzalez will be entering his 30 year-old season in the first year of his deal whereas Teixeira was a year younger when he started with the Yankees. That probably won’t make a big difference, though, and if I had to guess I’d say that he’ll get his eight years.
Rate is obviously the more interesting question. I have no idea what he’ll get or what he’s seeking, but part of me wonders if the same people who wonder what Gonzalez would do if he didn’t play in a pitcher’s park will criticize the contract he ends up signing because the numbers just weren’t there, man.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)