Adrian Gonzalez wants an eight-year deal

Jul 15, 2010, 4:12 PM EDT

Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse is reporting that Adrian Gonzalez will seek an eight
year deal when he becomes a free agent after the 2011 season.

That would seem to be the going length for stud first baseman contracts in light of the Mark Teixeira
deal. But of course (a) that was handed out by the Yankees — who won’t be handing one out to Gonzalez; and (b) Gonzalez will be entering his 30 year-old season in the first year of his deal whereas Teixeira was a year younger when he started with the Yankees. That probably won’t make a big difference, though, and if I had to guess I’d say that he’ll get his eight years.

Rate is obviously the more interesting question.  I have no idea what he’ll get or what he’s seeking, but part of me wonders if the same people who wonder what Gonzalez would do if he didn’t play in a pitcher’s park will criticize the contract he ends up signing because the numbers just weren’t there, man.

1. ben s - Jul 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Haha, funny end. Also, does anyone know when this blog started like exactly? I’m curious and have not been able to find the date. If you could also link to the first post that would be great.

2. Xpensive Wino - Jul 15, 2010 at 4:53 PM

……..which means he’s obviously not interested in staying in San Diego since there’s no way they’re going to give anyone an eight year deal and he knows that. They were lucky as hell to get out from under that ludicrous Peavy contract before his arm fell off.
    Padres should trade him now and get as much as they can for him.

3. malmstorm - Jul 15, 2010 at 5:07 PM

@ben s – November 30th, 2009?

4. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 15, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Actually, that’s just when I started here full time. I moonlighted between ShysterBall and here for much of 2009.
    HBT — formerly known as Circling the Bases — started in April 2009, Opening Day if I remember correctly. Sadly, our archives only go back to last June, I think, because we had a disastrous technical changeover.

5. malmstorm - Jul 15, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Geez, and I should remember, as I spent the majority of time at “work” reading CTB at my last job. I started there in June 2009 and would estimate that’s when I started reading CTB.
    I’ll just be over here…

6. Pisano - Jul 15, 2010 at 6:03 PM

He needs a urine test . Now lets see how bad the Sox want him with a stupid statement like that. An eight year contract is off the charts , I’ll bet the Yankees would think twice about giving Tex that seven year contract if they had it to do all over again.

7. bigtrav425 - Jul 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM

NO ONE should EVER get a 8 yr deal.To many things can happen in that 8 yrs.thats just crazy! i still cant believe anyone gives those out…i do have a hard time believing someone will give a 30 yr old a 8 yr deal tho (exception : Red Sox)

8. ben s - Jul 15, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Okay, thanks, just was interested to see what the first post here looked like.

9. ben s - Jul 15, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Ok thanks, the Shyster post was still a good read.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3437)