Armando Galarraga and Jim Joyce, together again at ESPYs

Jul 15, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT

Armando Galarraga and umpire Jim Joyce teamed up again last night, going on stage together at the ESPYs to present the award for “Best Moment.”
Joyce did most of the talking, saying:

Every umpire strives for the same thing, not to be noticed. So much for that. But it’s good to be here and good to be alongside a terrific young man and pitcher in Armando, who will always be remembered for his grace and class, regardless of what the record books say.

I’m in total agreement about Galarraga, who couldn’t possibly have handled this whole situation any better and certainly deserves all the recognition he wants.
Joyce has also handled things well given the difficult circumstances, but ultimately he caused those circumstances by failing to perform his job well and for whatever reason it rubs me the wrong way to see him celebrating that fact, even if it’s being done in the name of celebrating Galarraga. Of course, if it doesn’t bother Galarraga then it probably shouldn’t bother me. After all, it did get him in the same room as Brooklyn Decker.
Galarraga was dropped from the Tigers’ rotation and demoted to Triple-A last week, but has yet to start a game back in Toledo.

1. YankeesfanLen - Jul 15, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Lighten up, Craig, this is about the best that can be done about a regrettable situation.

2. YankeesfanLen - Jul 15, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Sorry, Aaron, just missed the byline and think they were both the victims of circumstance.

3. Old Gator - Jul 15, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Uh…Len, that’s Aaron, not Craig. And from what I’ve seen of him, “lighten up” is more than just a metaphorical entreaty. I could do to take it to heart myself. Matter of fack, I just got back from Publix with another bag of Splenda with which to bake my bran-walnut muffins for the weekend provisioning, and a small bottle of lime juice and some fresh mint to make my diet ginger ale drinkable.
    All that notwithstanding, yeah, Aaron, lay off the guy. He self-flagellates in a feedback loop as it is. If you want to blame someone, blame that Pithecanthropus erectiledysfunctionis* in the Commissioner’s office who apparently hasn’t even been informed about the invention of the wheel yet.
    *With apologies to the Leakey family and Charlie Mingus.

4. Utley's hair - Jul 15, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Hey, Aaron, at least Joyce admits to his fallibility and has tried at every turn to make amends. He is a rare breed of zebra.

Though I take issue with his assertion that “every umpire strives…not to be noticed…” There have been many instances this season alone in which that doesn’t hold water–apparently unlike Gator.

5. NicoSamuelson2 - Jul 15, 2010 at 2:25 PM

How was their lineup card exchange not even nominated for “best moment?”

6. Old Gator - Jul 15, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I only strive not to be noticed when I’m trying to swim up under some kid dangling his toes in the water.

7. Utley's hair - Jul 15, 2010 at 3:21 PM

I’ll be sure to warn my kid, though he’ll no doubt be able to detect your presence due to your diet.

8. dsmith4444 - Jul 15, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Old Gator, try using spell check.
    Aaron, why be so negative? You are a little late in letting us know that Joyce didn’t do his job, we really didn’t know that. Are you sure? Where do you writers come from anyway? Do you have editors? I guess not, you get to write whatever you want. What you wrote had little class, demeans Brook Decker, and on the whole, makes apologizing for a mistake a bad thing. You need to grow up.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS