Jul 15, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Armando Galarraga and umpire Jim Joyce teamed up again last night, going on stage together at the ESPYs to present the award for “Best Moment.”
Joyce did most of the talking, saying:
Every umpire strives for the same thing, not to be noticed. So much for that. But it’s good to be here and good to be alongside a terrific young man and pitcher in Armando, who will always be remembered for his grace and class, regardless of what the record books say.
I’m in total agreement about Galarraga, who couldn’t possibly have handled this whole situation any better and certainly deserves all the recognition he wants.
Joyce has also handled things well given the difficult circumstances, but ultimately he caused those circumstances by failing to perform his job well and for whatever reason it rubs me the wrong way to see him celebrating that fact, even if it’s being done in the name of celebrating Galarraga. Of course, if it doesn’t bother Galarraga then it probably shouldn’t bother me. After all, it did get him in the same room as Brooklyn Decker.
Galarraga was dropped from the Tigers’ rotation and demoted to Triple-A last week, but has yet to start a game back in Toledo.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)