Jul 15, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT
He’s baccccck… Well, kinda.
According to the Giants’ official Twitter feed, the club has signed left-handed castoff Dontrelle Willis to a minor league contract and assigned him to Triple-A Fresno.
Willis was dumped by the Diamondbacks on July 4 after allowing 14 earned runs and 27 walks in 21.1 innings as both a reliever and starter in the desert. It’s not clear what the Giants want from him or why they think he might succeed with another crack at the National League West, but it’s a fairly low-risk contract.
The 28-year-old Willis began the 2010 season with the Tigers and has posted a a 5.62 ERA and a 1.95 WHIP in 65.2 total innings this season. He also has a disastrous 47/56 K/BB ratio. Fresno may be his home for quite a while unless he somehow regains the form that he showed years ago in Florida.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 9
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 105
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 98
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (106)