Jul 15, 2010, 7:18 PM EDT
From Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun comes word that the Orioles plan to place young catcher Matt Wieters on the 15-day disabled list before their season resumes Friday against the Blue Jays.
Wieters, 24, strained his right hamstring just a few days before the All-Star break and did not make enough progress this week. The Orioles are expected to start Craig Tatum on most nights while Wieters is out and Jake Fox will back him up in the event of an emergency. Josh Bell could be recalled from Triple-A Norfolk to provide depth on the infield.
Wieters was considered a disappointment last season when he hit .288/.340/.412 with nine homers and 43 RBI in 354 at-bats after an early-season promotion to the big leagues. This year, he has been worse.
Through 269 at-bats, the former No. 5 overall pick has posted a .245 batting average, a .315 on-base percentage, six home runs and only 29 RBI. The guy was a .343/.438/.576 hitter over a year-plus in the minor leagues and flashed power potential that has not at all translated to the majors.
He will be eligible to return from the disabled list on July 25. Perhaps the rest will help.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 15
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 11
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 40
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires