Jul 15, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
If the All-Star Game is supposed to count for something — like
homefield advantage in the postseason — then the managers should manage
the game in that vein . . . The culture of the event has shifted to the point where we are now at
the every-Little Leaguer-gets-a-trophy stage, which is unnecessary.
— Buster Olney, dropping some righteousness.
I don’t think baseball has the practical ability to make a rule that requires managers to play their starters longer in the All-Star Game. Indeed, how would you even draft such a rule that retains the manager’s ability to run the team?
But how nice would it be if a future All-Star manager said “look, you’re all big boys, so you’ll understand it when I tell ya that I’m going to play my best players the longest in this one. If you start and you’re the best guy at that position, I’m keeping you in for the whole damn game. If you got voted in and you’re not my best player at that position, I’m subbing someone in for you early and keeping them in there. If that bothers you go tell the media you’ve got elbow tendinitis and stay the hell home, but we’re winning this game, fellas.
OK, I promise that will be my last All-Star Game item of the season.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)