Rumor: a Roger Clemens indictment is not far off

Jul 15, 2010, 1:12 PM EDT

Put this firmly in the category of scuttlebutt and rumor, not news, but someone who tends to know about this kind of thing is telling me that the feds could obtain an indictment on Roger Clemens any day now. The last intelligence my source had on it was that it could happen “around the All-Star break.”

To be clear — predicting indictments is kind of a sucker’s game. I had a client under federal grand jury investigation for 18 months once, and every other day someone called me to tell me “hey, your dude is about to get indicted.”  Funny thing happened, though: he never got indicted. I’d like to say it was because I’m a totally awesome lawyer, but that’s not true (if it was, would I be doing this for a living? OK, maybe I would, but still).  The fact is that no one on the outside of these things really ever knows how it’s going to break until it does.

All of that said, this is some rather specific intelligence on the time frame. And to be sure, it involves a guy who was really damn brazen during his testimony in front of Congress and was directly contradicted by another witness. The feds have been investigating Clemens for a long time now, and have been presenting testimony to the grand jury for months.  Just this morning his old boss was talking about a lot more information coming out soon. That tends to happen when someone gets indicted. You get the sense they want him, and in our system if a prosecutor wants someone bad enough, they can at least be fairly confident of getting an indictment. I mean, we’ve all heard the old adage about how you can indict a
ham sandwich, right?

So yeah, this might merely be smoke. But I think there’s enough heat to it that we shouldn’t act all shocked if Roger Clemens is indicted sometime soon.

1. Jonny5 - Jul 15, 2010 at 2:01 PM

What shocks me is the Feds pushing so hard on this “steroid in MLB issue” I don’t remember them coming down on a user this hard… maybe craig does??? It’s funny an admitted steroid user is a governor in Cali.

2. Braylon_the_Bearded - Jul 15, 2010 at 2:04 PM

In other news, nobody cares.

3. lardin - Jul 15, 2010 at 2:12 PM

In Clemens’ case its not so much the steroids as it is lying to congress. He took an oath to tell the truth punishable by jail time if he didn’t. The Feds believe he lied to congress. Thats what he is being investigated for. If Clemens went before congress and said, “Yeah Brian McNamee is right, I took steroids.” The whole thing would be forgotten by now. Clemens would never get into the Hall of fame, but he also wouldn’t be facing a possible indictment.

4. Jonny5 - Jul 15, 2010 at 2:26 PM

The fact that the Feds went after users so hard in the first place is what I was referring to. The fact that he lied under oath and is about to be indicted for it isn’t a shock to me.

5. btufts - Jul 15, 2010 at 2:59 PM

If lying to Congress is a crime, should lying In Congress be considered one also?
    As for Dan Duquette, he still harbors ill will towards Clemens due to the “”twilight of his career” comment he made upon Roger’s departure from Boston. He may be talking now, but when the Mitchell Report came out he sang a different tune (from ESPN, Jerry crasnick article, 12/15/2007)
    “But in the wake of Thursday’s release of the Mitchell report — which includes nine pages of allegations linking Clemens’ to use of performance-enhancing drugs — Duquette is not taking the opportunity to proclaim himself vindicated.
    Duquette, Boston’s general manager during Clemens’ emotional departure from the Red Sox 11 years ago, declined to address Clemens’ alleged use of steroids or any other aspect of former U.S. Senator George Mitchell’s 409-page report.
    “I’m not commenting on that,” Duquette said during a brief phone conversation on Saturday. “It’s not appropriate for me to do.” “

6. beezo - Jul 15, 2010 at 3:21 PM

I’m guessing the evidence that duquette is refering to involves a certain list of 100 or so names that was all the rage last year.

7. Omega in Colorado - Jul 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM

I think the only thing we enjoy more than building up our “heroes” and watching them achieve greatness is witnessing their downfall.

Orioles turn AL East on its head