Jul 15, 2010, 9:50 AM EDT
Right after I got done reading that giant McCourts article posted below, I read Bill Shaikin’s article in the Los Angeles Times which reports the judge in the McCourts’ divorce case saying — contrary to what Frank McCourt has been insisting for months — that the Dodgers may have to go on the block:
“The parties are unintentionally pushing the court toward an interesting
position — selling the asset which is being fought over”
That comment comes after months of wrangling over legal fees and arguments between Frank and Jamie in which each of them tried to portray themselves — at varying times — as the richer or the poorer than the other, depending on which tack suited them at the time.
As the legal experts in the article note, the judge’s comment about the team having to go up for sale were most likely a warning to Frank and Jamie to stop their bickering. A nuclear option, if you will, that probably won’t be taken but could be if everyone doesn’t start behaving first. But even if it’s unlikely, it is most certainly something the judge could order if things get bad enough.
And after everything we’ve seen with the Rangers, the last thing anyone wants to go through at this point is another acrimonious franchise sale.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)