Jul 15, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
The Cardinals just announced that they’ve given general manager John Mozeliak a three-year contract extension. I can’t say I’m an expert in Cardinals’ Kremlinology, but this doesn’t seem like a surprise.
The biggest knock on Mozeliak is probably that his moves — while keeping the big club competitive — have come at the expense of quite a few draft picks in recent years. As of now Keith Law ranks their farm system 29th, which is kind of scary for a team that, once it signs Pujols to an extension, is going to need a lot of cheap talent to fill in the gaps around their handful of stars.
But hey, good for Mozeliak and the Cardinals.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)