Jul 15, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
The Cardinals just announced that they’ve given general manager John Mozeliak a three-year contract extension. I can’t say I’m an expert in Cardinals’ Kremlinology, but this doesn’t seem like a surprise.
The biggest knock on Mozeliak is probably that his moves — while keeping the big club competitive — have come at the expense of quite a few draft picks in recent years. As of now Keith Law ranks their farm system 29th, which is kind of scary for a team that, once it signs Pujols to an extension, is going to need a lot of cheap talent to fill in the gaps around their handful of stars.
But hey, good for Mozeliak and the Cardinals.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)