Jul 15, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
The Cardinals just announced that they’ve given general manager John Mozeliak a three-year contract extension. I can’t say I’m an expert in Cardinals’ Kremlinology, but this doesn’t seem like a surprise.
The biggest knock on Mozeliak is probably that his moves — while keeping the big club competitive — have come at the expense of quite a few draft picks in recent years. As of now Keith Law ranks their farm system 29th, which is kind of scary for a team that, once it signs Pujols to an extension, is going to need a lot of cheap talent to fill in the gaps around their handful of stars.
But hey, good for Mozeliak and the Cardinals.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (86)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)