Jul 15, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
The Cardinals just announced that they’ve given general manager John Mozeliak a three-year contract extension. I can’t say I’m an expert in Cardinals’ Kremlinology, but this doesn’t seem like a surprise.
The biggest knock on Mozeliak is probably that his moves — while keeping the big club competitive — have come at the expense of quite a few draft picks in recent years. As of now Keith Law ranks their farm system 29th, which is kind of scary for a team that, once it signs Pujols to an extension, is going to need a lot of cheap talent to fill in the gaps around their handful of stars.
But hey, good for Mozeliak and the Cardinals.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)