Jul 15, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
The Cardinals just announced that they’ve given general manager John Mozeliak a three-year contract extension. I can’t say I’m an expert in Cardinals’ Kremlinology, but this doesn’t seem like a surprise.
The biggest knock on Mozeliak is probably that his moves — while keeping the big club competitive — have come at the expense of quite a few draft picks in recent years. As of now Keith Law ranks their farm system 29th, which is kind of scary for a team that, once it signs Pujols to an extension, is going to need a lot of cheap talent to fill in the gaps around their handful of stars.
But hey, good for Mozeliak and the Cardinals.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 27
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)