Jul 15, 2010, 3:47 PM EST
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Todd Helton is “unlikely” to return from the disabled list when eligible next Tuesday.
Colorado has gone with a platoon of Jason Giambi and Brad Eldred at first base since placing Helton on the DL last week due to back soreness and a strained hamstring. Giambi has started all five games against a right-handed pitcher, with Eldred getting the nod in all three games against a left-handed pitcher since his call-up from Triple-A.
Helton hit just .246/.336/.310 with two homers in 69 games before being shut down, so while the downgrade defensively is substantial the Rockies certainly don’t lose much offensively. Among the 29 first basemen with at least 200 plate appearances this season Helton ranks dead last with a .646 OPS.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)