Jul 15, 2010, 3:47 PM EST
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Todd Helton is “unlikely” to return from the disabled list when eligible next Tuesday.
Colorado has gone with a platoon of Jason Giambi and Brad Eldred at first base since placing Helton on the DL last week due to back soreness and a strained hamstring. Giambi has started all five games against a right-handed pitcher, with Eldred getting the nod in all three games against a left-handed pitcher since his call-up from Triple-A.
Helton hit just .246/.336/.310 with two homers in 69 games before being shut down, so while the downgrade defensively is substantial the Rockies certainly don’t lose much offensively. Among the 29 first basemen with at least 200 plate appearances this season Helton ranks dead last with a .646 OPS.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27