What ever will the Red Sox do without Adrian Gonzalez

Jul 15, 2010, 8:30 AM EST

Headline of Rob Bradford’s latest column at WEEI: “What becomes of the Red Sox without Adrian Gonzalez.”

Only Red Sox Nation worries about what will happen if
they lose the player they never had in the first place. And they wonder why the rest of the baseball world hates them.

Headline and opening Adrian Gonzalez-coveting paragraphs aside, the bulk of the article is devoted to speculating what the Sox might do to fill the middle of their order going forward.  I don’t really take issue with any of Bradford’s assessments of Adrian Beltre, Victor Martinez or David Ortiz, but with his references to Gonzalez, Prince Fielder and regret over not getting Mark Teixeira, it seems like he’s sort of assuming that the Sox absolutely have to bring in some giant middle-of-the-order bat or else all is lost.

The Sox, however, are leading the American League in scoring right now and Kevin Youkilis is performing as if he’s (shock!) a giant, middle-of-the order bat. Probably because he is.  In the grand scheme of things, then, I’m not seeing why the Sox need to go and get someone else huge.

1. Professor Dave - Jul 15, 2010 at 8:47 AM

It’s true, the Red Sox worry about players they don’t have. The Yankees, on the other hand, just assume every player will always be theirs and discuss them as such. It’s why the Mauer extension was so satisfying for Yankee-haters as well as Twins fans.

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Jul 15, 2010 at 8:50 AM

For fear of sounding like the pot to the kettle, I will try to muffle my chuckles at your stabby-stabby comments this early in the AM…

3. Alex K - Jul 15, 2010 at 8:59 AM

My favorite part was the first comment that said Prince Fielder’s value is really low right now.

4. birdmancometh - Jul 15, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Come on P Dave, your tears are falling all the way down here and hitting me in PA! Thats the real reason everyone hates the Red Sox. Pretty sure they have the second highest payroll and yet THEY are the victim. BS. There is not much difference between the Yankees and Sox…except of course the 20+ world series championships.

5. donnie23 - Jul 15, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Anyone who’s first intinct about the Mauer extension was “Haha! The Yankees didn’t get him!” rather than “I’m thrilled for the Twins” needs to seriously re-evalutae his priorities.

6. nps6724 - Jul 15, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Unless you’re a Twins fan, why would you be thrilled for them?

7. donnie23 - Jul 15, 2010 at 10:16 AM

As a fan of the game you should be happy that a small to mid-market team like the Twins was able to keep a home-grown superstar like Mauer on their club. I’m a huge Yankee fan, but moreso I’m a fan of the game. And because of that I was thrilled for them.

8. Glenn - Jul 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Since there’s not much difference between the Sox and Yanks, lets have the Yanks reduce their payroll to the Sox level and see how they look. And yes, the Sox are a big market team and deserve scorn from other fans for this – but the Yanks are on a whole other level. The current imbalance in MLB is not good for most fans and it isn’t fair.

9. nps6724 - Jul 15, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Meh. Many teams could keep their star players if they made better personnel decisions or actually spent money (looking at YOU Loria). A lot of teams sign mediocre players or “name” players to large contracts that end up busting and then have no money for the homegrown superstar. As much as I hate the Yankees and Red Sox, they are extremely well-run teams. Obviously they can afford to pay for mistakes and not get burnt too bad, but you don’t see too many deals for either of them that completely fail.

10. DG1965 - Jul 15, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Craig, do you really believe that one hitter constitutes a “middle of the order”? Yes, Youkilis is under contract for a while yet – but everyone else has an expiring contract and no one knows who will be back and who will be gone.
    This is a critical moment for the team and to lean on “most runs scored” and “Youkilis” is ridiculous. Not least when you consider that the minor league system is bereft of power hitters, Lars Anderson notwithstanding.
    My guess is that the Red Sox try to get Gonzales this off-season with a package centered on Jacoby Ellsbury. But they have to think long and hard about what to do with at least the 3 & 5 spots in the lineup, and the answers aren’t exactly clear yet.

11. John - Jul 15, 2010 at 1:40 PM

my god, you’re such an obnoxious cock. quit taking swipes at an entire fan base because of something one writer said. the sox will not be this good on offense next year if they run the exact same lineup out there, i guarantee that…youkilis is great but one guy doesn’t make a middle of an order, plus a-gon is PERFECT for fenway…every team would love to have him. the sox just happen to be in a position where they could pay him, and probably have the prospects to pull a trade off if they went after him. it was a very realistic possibility they would get him for a while, just doesn’t seem that way now.

12. John - Jul 15, 2010 at 1:41 PM

every time i read stuff like this it makes me hope like hell the braves dont win anything

13. doctorfunke - Jul 15, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Waaaaaaahh. This just in; life’s not fair.
    Get over it. I despise the Yankees, yet I respect them for wanting to win every year and not being afraid to say it or spend money to achieve it. It’s the way the world should work. You want something, go earn it. Once you earn it, you can do whatever the hell you want with it.

14. The Rabbit - Jul 15, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Thanks for this post, Craig, and the opportunity to share some thoughts. You could be describing my father.
    My dad was a long time Phillies/Philadelphia A’s fan who switched loyalty to the Red Sox with departure/addition of Jimmy Foxx who he had met as a child. Ted Williams was, of course, a god. Like many fans from that era, my dad would also say, “He would have been considered the best player ever if he hadn’t lost his prime years to World War II”, a war in which my father also served. Yaz didn’t suck, either.
    We had many discussions throughout the years (about the BoSox, not the Phillies) over acquisitions, just one pitcher or hitter, that could be “the difference”.
    The 1986 World Series was demoralizing…well, for him. My son and I were Mets fans. We tried very hard, well not too hard, not to gloat.
    Fortunately, he lived long enough to see his beloved Sox finally win a World Series.
    RIP Dad.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3308)
  2. J. Kang (3136)
  3. C. McGehee (2850)
  4. J. Upton (2836)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2830)
  1. D. Ross (2657)