Jul 15, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
Headline of Rob Bradford’s latest column at WEEI: “What becomes of the Red Sox without Adrian Gonzalez.”
Only Red Sox Nation worries about what will happen if
they lose the player they never had in the first place. And they wonder why the rest of the baseball world hates them.
Headline and opening Adrian Gonzalez-coveting paragraphs aside, the bulk of the article is devoted to speculating what the Sox might do to fill the middle of their order going forward. I don’t really take issue with any of Bradford’s assessments of Adrian Beltre, Victor Martinez or David Ortiz, but with his references to Gonzalez, Prince Fielder and regret over not getting Mark Teixeira, it seems like he’s sort of assuming that the Sox absolutely have to bring in some giant middle-of-the-order bat or else all is lost.
The Sox, however, are leading the American League in scoring right now and Kevin Youkilis is performing as if he’s (shock!) a giant, middle-of-the order bat. Probably because he is. In the grand scheme of things, then, I’m not seeing why the Sox need to go and get someone else huge.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)