Jul 16, 2010, 9:50 AM EDT
This isn’t quite in ironing-your-shirt-while-still-wearing-it or in carrying-deer-meat-up-stairs territory, but it’s still pretty good:
[Mat]Latos, who is tied for third in the National League with 10 victories,
will be placed on the 15-day disabled list on Friday with a strain to
his left side.
Latos said he suffered the injury attempting to hold back a sneeze on
Friday in Colorado, a day after he improved to 10-4 and lowered his ERA
2.45 with a victory in Washington.
“I held my sneeze walking down the [dugout] steps and felt a little
pull,” Latos said just before a workout at PETCO Park in advance of
Friday’s game against Arizona, the first game of the second half of the
You couldn’t make something like that up. At least I don’t think you could. I mean, you’d need a real good reason to tell a tale of a minor injury as silly as that. A real good reason indeed.
The decision to place Latos on the disabled list coincides with a
planned break for the 22-year-old, as the Padres are closely watching
his innings and workload.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 39
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 70
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (166)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)