Jul 16, 2010, 11:28 AM EST
If you think Bill Lee hated George Steinbrenner, get a load of this rant from Muhammed Cohen (neat name!) of the Guardian:
Steinbrenner, who died on Tuesday at age 80, was a bully and a brat, devoid of humility, class, and
civility, born on third base, deluded that he’d hit a triple, and
convinced he had to tell the whole world how he’d done it. Famed for his
bombast and for making himself bigger than his players and team,
tolerated only because he had money and power, this Yankee Doodle Dandy
born on the Fourth of July paved the way for America to become a loser
by his example.
It just goes on and on like that. The factual examples of Steinbrenner’s flaws are basically accurate, but Cohen’s vitriol at at those flaws seems massively out of proportion.
God love a free press (which they have even in the UK), but Cohen should probably not plan any trips to Yankee Stadium anytime soon.
(thanks to ‘Duk over at Big League Stew for the head’s up)
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 9
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 70
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 57
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)