Jul 16, 2010, 1:47 PM EST
Yesterday the Mets cleared room for Carlos Beltran on the 40-man roster by transferring Fernando Tatis to the 60-day disabled list after the 35-year-old bench player underwent shoulder surgery earlier this week.
Tatis will miss the remainder of the season and Anthony DiComo of MLB.com speculates that his career may be over. He originally injured his shoulder in September of 2008, but played through the pain while hitting .282/.339/.438 in 379 plate appearances for the Mets last season.
Tatis batted just .185 in a limited role this year before being placed on the DL last month and opted to go under the knife Wednesday. Signed to a one-year, $850,000 contract, Tatis will likely have to settle for a minor-league deal this offseason if he chooses to continue playing.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)