Joba Chamberlain is the most overrated player, say other players

Jul 16, 2010, 11:14 AM EDT

Sports Illustrated conducted a poll of 187 major leaguers. I presume they asked more than just this one question and will be publishing it soon, but for now they’re releasing the results of the “who is the most overrated player in baseball” question. The top five:

• Joba Chamberlain 12%
  • Alex Rodriguez 5%
  • Gary Matthews Jr. 5%
  • Nick Swisher 4%
  • J.D. Drew 3%

Kind of weird results if you ask me. The fact that hardly anyone broke 5% leads you to believe that there is nothing approaching agreement on a question like this.

To the extent Joba Chamberlain has been overrated by anyone recently it was probably by people like me who thought that he maybe should have beaten out Phil Hughes for the rotation slot. But (a) we were probably wrong; and (b) it’s not like a lot of players read people like me anyway.  Most mainstream people have been questioning Chamberlain for a long time now.

A-Rod is also an interesting answer. I can see it, though between him and Chamberlain and even Nick Swisher appearing here, I wonder if the players were interpreting the question as “who gets more media coverage than they really warrant” as opposed to how overrated their skills are. A-Rod and Swisher are both good, but probably get too much attention. I don’t know that anyone really overrates their value as players.

Surprised to see both Matthews and Drew in the top five too. If anything I think Drew is underrated, with people slamming him (wrongfully, I think) for his perceived lack of effort or malingering while underselling his contributions on the field. You’d think that, if anything, Drew would fare better when other players rated him than media people and fans, but I guess not.  As for Matthews: does anyone actually consider him decent at all to justify a claim that he’s overrated?

Eh, just a poll so who cares, but kind of curious anyway.

1. BC - Jul 16, 2010 at 11:25 AM

My Top 10:
    10. Jose Valverde
    9. Carlos Beltran (and I’m not counting the injury as a factor)
    8. Jason Werth
    7. AJ Pierzynski
    6. Dice-K
    5. BJ Upton
    4. Joba
    1. (Three Way Tie) – Brian Fuentes, Matt Kemp, John Lackey – just couldn’t pick
    Honorable Mention – The entire Philadelphia Philles team.
    Sorry. Had to throw the last one in. I’m a Mets fan. So sue me.

2. Old Gator - Jul 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Alex Rodriguez overrated? How many times did Jason Varitek vote?

3. ben s - Jul 16, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Exactly. I think the players might have interpreted how you said it Craig, because A-Rod might actually be underrated with how much people slam him. Also I’m wondering if Joba’s personality just annoys the other players, because to be honest, I’d be pretty annoyed if I struck out against a guy and then he’s like pumping his fist and dancing.

4. Infinite Wisdom - Jul 16, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I’d have to agree about Joba.. He’s got potential, but I cringe whenever he comes in to hold the lead in the 8th. He will inevitably ruin my day. But A-Rod is ridiculous. Where’s Raul Ibanez and Chone Figgins? Scutaro? Mike Cameron? Jeff Francoeur? James Shields? Kenshin Kawakami? Oh wait.. everyone knows he’s terrible.

5. YankeesfanLen - Jul 16, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Particularly when he finally strikes out the third man up and we’re supposed to cheer that. Meanwhile we load the bases and expertly pitch a grand slam ball. FAT TOAD. Let’s get rid of him before he wins the Farnsworth 2010 award.

6. nps6724 - Jul 16, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I can see why Mathews is on there. He keeps getting signed and he’s received at least one HUGE deal that he was never anywhere close to earning. He’s had 1 good full year out of 12 seasons yet people keep giving him chances to not only play but start.

7. Infinite Wisdom - Jul 16, 2010 at 12:03 PM

He does that because he’s surprised he didn’t walk 6 straight batters and give up 13 earned in 1/3 of an inning. Oh, and the out would be a sac fly.

8. jkorn1818 - Jul 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Yes, Arod is horrible zzzzzzzz…People all over are still saying hes on the downside, isnt the same etc. 70 rbis, pretty good to me and lets not forget how ridiculous he was last october, one of the most incredible playoff performances I have ever seen. That 5% comes from them disliking him than I think his playing ability.

9. jkorn1818 - Jul 16, 2010 at 12:17 PM

and if were going to put arod up there, why not longoria? since he is considered the greatest 3b ever then how does arod still put up better numbers?

10. YANKEES1996 - Jul 16, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I can’t see how Swisher and J.D. Drew make this list they are steady players at best, overrated I don’t think so. I really do not believe A-Rod is overrated either. He is a proven player with very little if anything left to prove.

11. JBerardi - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Yeah, that’s probably why 97% of those polled didn’t think he was overrated…

12. bblair - Jul 16, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I agree about Upton. He’d be my most overrated…

13. Pisano - Jul 17, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I agree , Joba needs to go . bringing him in a tight situation is suicide . As I’ve said earlier he needs to go while he still has some value. If they keep bringing him in to explode they won’t get $hit for him. Please hear my prayers .

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug