Jul 16, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
I posted that thing the other day about Joey Votto saying he didn’t like the Cubs (and updated later when I realized that I was taking the comments too seriously). More along those lines today in a post from C. Trent Rosecrans, in which Votto explains that yes, he was joking around a bit when he said that after the All-Star Game, but no, he’s not totally prepared to be all friendly with inter-divisional rivals either.
The post has a video in which Votto tells a young Cubs fan “I don’t sign for Cubs
fans.” Votto expands:
“I don’t,” Votto said, with a laugh. “I try not to. They’re in our same
division and we play good baseball against them. I think it’s kind of
fun to play the heel. Not everything has to be friendly, we take it
seriously every time we go there. It’s not just a game to us, it’s our
Votto traces his Cub-dislike to 2007, when he was called
up in September and watched the Cubs celebrate a division title at Great
American Ball Park in Cincinnati.
“I still remember that now, I
remember them looking at the scoreboard and Cubs fans cheering and
everyone in the stands wearing blue,” Votto said. “I still remember that
and it meant a lot to me. I guess I should probably let it go, but I’m
not an easy forgiver.”
Most of all, it sounds like Votto is just embracing, however, uncomfortably, the heel mantle a la professional wrestling. He even uses those words himself, saying “it’s kind of fun to play the heel.”
Which I kind of like, because as I’ve said many times, heel-turns are fun. There should more of those in life to break up all of the moral ambiguity. Having a villain is rather cleansing in a weird sort of way, ya know?
But really, if you’re not going to totally own it like Ric Flair or someone, you’re just giving off mixed signals.
(thanks to lar at Wezen-Ball for the heads up)
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)