Jul 16, 2010, 10:43 AM EDT
Everything is wonderful in White Sox land now that they’re the hottest team in baseball and leading the AL Central, but just in case things get ugly again general manager Ken Williams is pretty confident he could beat up manager Ozzie Guillen.
Appearing as a guest on “Pardon the Interruption” yesterday, Williams was asked about the reported shouting match he had with Guillen back in June and responded:
It was really blown out of proportion. Come on, we are about to come to blows? That’s not realistic. Ozzie would never fight with me. He knows better than that.
At which point all the Chicago reporters sprinted to the White Sox’s clubhouse to get Guillen’s reaction to the “he knows better than that” part. As usual, his response was amusing:
I don’t see it as bad. I don’t know if Kenny knows me for that long. He said 30 years? He knows me longer than my wife knows me. I think it was good. The one thing about it, I never deny I’m going to fight with him. I never fight with anyone because I don’t know how to fight. I’m not a fighter.
Did something happen? Of course it happened. Everyone knows. But in the meanwhile, we separate those things from one time to another. I separate my problems on the field and off the field. It’s the only way this thing is going to work–if we pull from the same end of the rope, and we do. Even if we don’t agree with each other, at the end of the day, we do pull from the same rope.
Asked what owner Jerry Reinsdorf thinks of the tension between manager and general manager, Guillen said:
Jerry is a businessman. He don’t give a s— if me and Kenny get along. If this team wins the World Series and we end up in jail because we are killing each other, Jerry would go for that. As long as they win, that’s Jerry’s business.
So, to recap: Williams thinks he could take Guillen, but we’ll probably never know because Guillen isn’t a fighter. But if something did happen, Reinsdorf would be fine with it as long as the White Sox kept winning. Also, rope pulling. Oh, and Guillen managed the hell out of last night’s game against the Twins, going 4-for-4 calling hit-and-runs in an 8-7 victory.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 48
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)