Jul 16, 2010, 1:30 AM EST
As the Angels were beating the Mariners 8-3 on Thursday night, Ichiro Suzuki and Erick Aybar became the first pair of leadoff men to drive in three runs in the same game in a season and a half.
Ichiro supplied all of Seattle’s runs on the night with a bases-loaded double in the fifth inning, giving him his first three-RBI game since April 15, 2009.
Aybar singled in two runs in the second and then one more in the sixth for his first three-RBI game since Aug. 17, 2009.
They were the first leadoff men to both plate three runs for their respective teams since Ian Kinsler and Grady Sizemore did so on April 9, 2009. Of course, those two accomplished it with a bit more power. Kinsler homered once and Sizemore went deep twice in the Rangers’ 12-8 win over the Indians.
Ichiro and Aybar, obviously, were far less likely candidates to combine for six RBI than Kinsler and Sizemore were. Among AL players, only Juan Pierre was averaging fewer RBI per AB than Aybar this season and Ichiro was right there as well. Here was the bottom eight headed into Thursday’s action:
1. Juan Pierre – 14/339 – .041
2. Nyjer Morgan – 14/329 – .043
3. Erick Aybar – 16/325 – .049
4. Ryan Theriot – 18/335 – .054
5. Michael Bourn – 20/321 – .062
6. Austin Jackson – 20/313 – .064
7. Todd Helton – 16/248 – .065
8. Ichiro Suzuki – 24/362 – .067
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)