Jul 16, 2010, 2:32 PM EDT
Sticking with Heyman, who reports that people in the Cubs’ organization expect Lou Piniella to retire at the end of the season.
This would shock me about as much as the sun coming up tomorrow morning. The Cubs are on the brink of a massive tear-down, one would assume, and given how weary Piniella has seemed at times this year, it doesn’t seem like he’d be up for that even if the Cubs asked him to come back.
Heyman says Ryne Sandberg is the top choice to replace Piniella. This is something many have said and it makes sense. Heyman thinks that Sandberg could maybe use a year or two as someone else’s bench coach, but I’m sure why that would be the case. It’s not like he hasn’t managed — he’s worked up the ladder in the minors — and it’s not like he doesn’t know his way around Wrigley Field or the Chicago media. Indeed, I can’t think of anyone who would be better prepared to just jump right in than Sandberg.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)