Jul 16, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Now that Cliff Lee is off the market contending teams in need of rotation help are turning their attention to pitchers like Ted Lilly.
He’s an impending free agent earning $12 million in the final season of a four-year, $40 million deal and Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that Lilly “met with general manager Jim Hendry to discuss his future before Thursday night’s game with the Phillies.”
Hendry declined to comment about the meeting, while Lilly simply told Sullivan: “I don’t know if I have the right to discuss that. Write whatever you want.”
And so he did. Sullivan notes that “Hendry would like to keep Lilly, but he doesn’t know if the Cubs can meet his free agent demands in November so he has to consider getting something in return.” He also adds that the Mets and Twins are the most likely suitors for Lilly, which matches an earlier report from Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com in Minnesota.
While certainly not in Lee’s stratosphere, Lilly is 47-34 with a 3.75 ERA in 110 starts for the Cubs, including a 4.08 ERA in 97 innings this year. However, he finished the first half with back-to-back clunkers and because he’ll likely be a Type A free agent this offseason the Cubs can choose to simply take a pair of compensatory draft picks for letting him walk if they aren’t satisfied with any of the trade packages being offered.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 0
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 15
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)