Jul 16, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Now that Cliff Lee is off the market contending teams in need of rotation help are turning their attention to pitchers like Ted Lilly.
He’s an impending free agent earning $12 million in the final season of a four-year, $40 million deal and Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that Lilly “met with general manager Jim Hendry to discuss his future before Thursday night’s game with the Phillies.”
Hendry declined to comment about the meeting, while Lilly simply told Sullivan: “I don’t know if I have the right to discuss that. Write whatever you want.”
And so he did. Sullivan notes that “Hendry would like to keep Lilly, but he doesn’t know if the Cubs can meet his free agent demands in November so he has to consider getting something in return.” He also adds that the Mets and Twins are the most likely suitors for Lilly, which matches an earlier report from Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com in Minnesota.
While certainly not in Lee’s stratosphere, Lilly is 47-34 with a 3.75 ERA in 110 starts for the Cubs, including a 4.08 ERA in 97 innings this year. However, he finished the first half with back-to-back clunkers and because he’ll likely be a Type A free agent this offseason the Cubs can choose to simply take a pair of compensatory draft picks for letting him walk if they aren’t satisfied with any of the trade packages being offered.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)