No Yankees showed up at Bob Sheppard's funeral. Is this really an issue?

Jul 16, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT

Bill Madden’s Daily News column about Bob Sheppard’s funeral mass is headlined “Yankees a no-show at Bob Sheppard’s funeral, an act George
Steinbrenner wouldn’t have stood for.”  He doesn’t hit it quite as hard as that in the column, but he does make a couple of references to how it was a shame that no Yankees players showed up.

I suppose it’s somewhat curious, what with the Yankees having a day off yesterday and everything, but I’m having a hard time getting worked up about it. For one thing, Madden himself notes that, while there was certainly respect for Sheppard among just about everyone, Sheppard wasn’t at all close with players.  He interacted with them on pronunciation matters and if they went to mass with him, but it’s not like there were personal relationships there.

And of course we have no idea what the family’s wishes were. Isn’t it entirely possible that they had requested that things be kept relatively tame? Brian Cashman and a small Yankees delegation was there, but by all accounts Sheppard had a full and fulfilling private life away from the Yankees, so maybe whoever planned the funeral wanted to make it a smaller affair and the word circulated the the Yankees delegation was sufficient?  Would anyone want the paparazzi who follows A-Rod around to be standing outside of the church?

My take on it is that unless we get some upset quotes from someone in Sheppard’s family about it — which, if personal decorum is inherited, would never, ever happen — this is a non-issue.

1. YankeesfanLen - Jul 16, 2010 at 9:40 AM

I suggest we read George Vecsey’s report in the Times if we want further illumination concerning this matter. He doesn’t have a book to sell and may have a little more objective manner.

2. Ditto65 - Jul 16, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I hope the paparazzi are hangin’ around outside the church at my funeral.
    Stay Classy, HBT.

3. Jonny5 - Jul 16, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Strange, ALL of the Phillies showed up for the Harry Kalas Funeral, that and half of the residents in the tri-state area. Maybe he wasn’t “the voice of God” afterall ? Shocked to hear that no Yankees showed actually.

4. bigshotrob - Jul 16, 2010 at 10:21 AM

To be fair, Kalas had a personal relationship with the players. As the TV/radio guy, he traveld w/ the team, Sheppard did not.

5. bigtrav425 - Jul 16, 2010 at 5:35 PM

If he was beloved as they say he was then atleast a few would of showed up! so i say it is a lil bit of a issue. And it just means,to me atleast that all the love for him was completely BS from the Yanks,which is classless which doesnt surprise me being its the Yanks and the Steinbrenner family

6. quint - Jul 17, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Its understandable – the newer players wouldn’t know him and the Yankees were represented there.
    But I will say this, I not exactly comfortable with Jeter using the recording and not showing up.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4963)