Jul 16, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Bill Madden’s Daily News column about Bob Sheppard’s funeral mass is headlined “Yankees a no-show at Bob Sheppard’s funeral, an act George
Steinbrenner wouldn’t have stood for.” He doesn’t hit it quite as hard as that in the column, but he does make a couple of references to how it was a shame that no Yankees players showed up.
I suppose it’s somewhat curious, what with the Yankees having a day off yesterday and everything, but I’m having a hard time getting worked up about it. For one thing, Madden himself notes that, while there was certainly respect for Sheppard among just about everyone, Sheppard wasn’t at all close with players. He interacted with them on pronunciation matters and if they went to mass with him, but it’s not like there were personal relationships there.
And of course we have no idea what the family’s wishes were. Isn’t it entirely possible that they had requested that things be kept relatively tame? Brian Cashman and a small Yankees delegation was there, but by all accounts Sheppard had a full and fulfilling private life away from the Yankees, so maybe whoever planned the funeral wanted to make it a smaller affair and the word circulated the the Yankees delegation was sufficient? Would anyone want the paparazzi who follows A-Rod around to be standing outside of the church?
My take on it is that unless we get some upset quotes from someone in Sheppard’s family about it — which, if personal decorum is inherited, would never, ever happen — this is a non-issue.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 11
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 40
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires