Jul 16, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Bill Madden’s Daily News column about Bob Sheppard’s funeral mass is headlined “Yankees a no-show at Bob Sheppard’s funeral, an act George
Steinbrenner wouldn’t have stood for.” He doesn’t hit it quite as hard as that in the column, but he does make a couple of references to how it was a shame that no Yankees players showed up.
I suppose it’s somewhat curious, what with the Yankees having a day off yesterday and everything, but I’m having a hard time getting worked up about it. For one thing, Madden himself notes that, while there was certainly respect for Sheppard among just about everyone, Sheppard wasn’t at all close with players. He interacted with them on pronunciation matters and if they went to mass with him, but it’s not like there were personal relationships there.
And of course we have no idea what the family’s wishes were. Isn’t it entirely possible that they had requested that things be kept relatively tame? Brian Cashman and a small Yankees delegation was there, but by all accounts Sheppard had a full and fulfilling private life away from the Yankees, so maybe whoever planned the funeral wanted to make it a smaller affair and the word circulated the the Yankees delegation was sufficient? Would anyone want the paparazzi who follows A-Rod around to be standing outside of the church?
My take on it is that unless we get some upset quotes from someone in Sheppard’s family about it — which, if personal decorum is inherited, would never, ever happen — this is a non-issue.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 1
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 74
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)