Jul 16, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
Although he’s been in an awful slump since hitting 13 homers during April and May, Orioles utilityman Ty Wigginton is drawing interest from the Phillies, Rangers and Yankees, according to the Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec.
Zrebiec says the Orioles and Phillies have discussed Wigginton for several weeks. The Philllies could install Wigginton at third base, with Placido Polanco moving to second base until Chase Utley returns from thumb surgery.
The Rangers and Yankees would seem to have less playing time for him, though the Rangers do need someone to start at first base against lefties and the Yankees still have their question mark at DH.
Zrebiec indicates that the Phillies could also be interested in Miguel Tejada if Wigginton is moved to one of the other teams.
Wigginton is making $3 million in the final season of a two-year deal. A huge early-season surprise, he’s hit just .205/.289/.265 with one homer in 132 at-bats since the beginning of June, leaving him at .252/.334/.434 overall. The Orioles had a high asking price for him a month ago, but they’ll probably come down on that now, particularly since there will be less of a role available for him if Brian Roberts returns in a couple of weeks as hoped.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)