Jul 16, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
Although he’s been in an awful slump since hitting 13 homers during April and May, Orioles utilityman Ty Wigginton is drawing interest from the Phillies, Rangers and Yankees, according to the Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec.
Zrebiec says the Orioles and Phillies have discussed Wigginton for several weeks. The Philllies could install Wigginton at third base, with Placido Polanco moving to second base until Chase Utley returns from thumb surgery.
The Rangers and Yankees would seem to have less playing time for him, though the Rangers do need someone to start at first base against lefties and the Yankees still have their question mark at DH.
Zrebiec indicates that the Phillies could also be interested in Miguel Tejada if Wigginton is moved to one of the other teams.
Wigginton is making $3 million in the final season of a two-year deal. A huge early-season surprise, he’s hit just .205/.289/.265 with one homer in 132 at-bats since the beginning of June, leaving him at .252/.334/.434 overall. The Orioles had a high asking price for him a month ago, but they’ll probably come down on that now, particularly since there will be less of a role available for him if Brian Roberts returns in a couple of weeks as hoped.
- Carlos Beltran diagnosed with facial fractures after batting practice mishap 7
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 27
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 45
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (169)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)