Jul 16, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
Although he’s been in an awful slump since hitting 13 homers during April and May, Orioles utilityman Ty Wigginton is drawing interest from the Phillies, Rangers and Yankees, according to the Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec.
Zrebiec says the Orioles and Phillies have discussed Wigginton for several weeks. The Philllies could install Wigginton at third base, with Placido Polanco moving to second base until Chase Utley returns from thumb surgery.
The Rangers and Yankees would seem to have less playing time for him, though the Rangers do need someone to start at first base against lefties and the Yankees still have their question mark at DH.
Zrebiec indicates that the Phillies could also be interested in Miguel Tejada if Wigginton is moved to one of the other teams.
Wigginton is making $3 million in the final season of a two-year deal. A huge early-season surprise, he’s hit just .205/.289/.265 with one homer in 132 at-bats since the beginning of June, leaving him at .252/.334/.434 overall. The Orioles had a high asking price for him a month ago, but they’ll probably come down on that now, particularly since there will be less of a role available for him if Brian Roberts returns in a couple of weeks as hoped.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 46
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 49
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)