Jul 16, 2010, 8:16 PM EDT
It wasn’t too long ago that we were thinking Shin-Soo Choo could need surgery on his thumb. Now, according to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com, it appears that he could be back in the lineup by the end of next week.
Choo took some soft-toss Thursday and is scheduled to participate in full batting practice Saturday. On the verge of full participation in pregame workouts, the club hopes to have Choo join them on their roadtrip to Minnesota next week. From there, he’ll be re-evaluated for a possible return against the Rays next weekend.
According to Indians manager Manny Acta, Choo might not even need a minor league rehab assignment before being activated from the disabled list.
“He’s kept himself in good shape physically,” Acta said of Choo. “We’re
not anticipating him going down [to the Minors]. Things could change.
But he hasn’t lost much time. He’s pretty close.”
Choo was batting .286/.390/.475 with 13 home runs, 45 RBI and 12 stolen bases before injuring his right thumb while attempting to make a diving catch on July 2. His rapid recovery would be a pleasant surprise for a sports town that hasn’t received much good news lately.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 62
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 41
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)