Jul 16, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Costs are down, revenues are up, and our stock has never been
“We are exactly on budget,” Marlins President David Samson told a
pack of reporters during a media tour of the construction site
Thursday. “There will be no overruns.”
The surrounding neighborhood has yet to feel the domino effect
of the new construction. Yet with the stadium about 40 percent complete,
Samson insisted the neighborhood around the former Orange Bowl will get
a much-needed shot in the arm.
“This will be an area that
will have people every single day,” Samson said. “What I really want
to build is a neighborhood.”
Good for the finances of the deal anyway. I still worry about the neighborhood. You’ll recall that Old Gator took me on a tour of the construction site back in March. His thought then — with which I agreed wholeheartedly — is that if the ballpark draws like people hope it will, the traffic will be a nightmare due to the absence of public transportation and the fact that there really aren’t any major thoroughfares in and out of the neighborhood.
And it is a neighborhood. Houses, small apartment buildings and lots of side streets. If a ballpark grew up there in 1925 alongside a subway system or something, hey, mazel tov. Now? It could be really rough getting in and out.
Of course Gator is convinced no one is going to go anyway, but I’ll let him explain why he thinks that in the comments.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)