Jul 16, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Costs are down, revenues are up, and our stock has never been
“We are exactly on budget,” Marlins President David Samson told a
pack of reporters during a media tour of the construction site
Thursday. “There will be no overruns.”
The surrounding neighborhood has yet to feel the domino effect
of the new construction. Yet with the stadium about 40 percent complete,
Samson insisted the neighborhood around the former Orange Bowl will get
a much-needed shot in the arm.
“This will be an area that
will have people every single day,” Samson said. “What I really want
to build is a neighborhood.”
Good for the finances of the deal anyway. I still worry about the neighborhood. You’ll recall that Old Gator took me on a tour of the construction site back in March. His thought then — with which I agreed wholeheartedly — is that if the ballpark draws like people hope it will, the traffic will be a nightmare due to the absence of public transportation and the fact that there really aren’t any major thoroughfares in and out of the neighborhood.
And it is a neighborhood. Houses, small apartment buildings and lots of side streets. If a ballpark grew up there in 1925 alongside a subway system or something, hey, mazel tov. Now? It could be really rough getting in and out.
Of course Gator is convinced no one is going to go anyway, but I’ll let him explain why he thinks that in the comments.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)