Jul 16, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Costs are down, revenues are up, and our stock has never been
“We are exactly on budget,” Marlins President David Samson told a
pack of reporters during a media tour of the construction site
Thursday. “There will be no overruns.”
The surrounding neighborhood has yet to feel the domino effect
of the new construction. Yet with the stadium about 40 percent complete,
Samson insisted the neighborhood around the former Orange Bowl will get
a much-needed shot in the arm.
“This will be an area that
will have people every single day,” Samson said. “What I really want
to build is a neighborhood.”
Good for the finances of the deal anyway. I still worry about the neighborhood. You’ll recall that Old Gator took me on a tour of the construction site back in March. His thought then — with which I agreed wholeheartedly — is that if the ballpark draws like people hope it will, the traffic will be a nightmare due to the absence of public transportation and the fact that there really aren’t any major thoroughfares in and out of the neighborhood.
And it is a neighborhood. Houses, small apartment buildings and lots of side streets. If a ballpark grew up there in 1925 alongside a subway system or something, hey, mazel tov. Now? It could be really rough getting in and out.
Of course Gator is convinced no one is going to go anyway, but I’ll let him explain why he thinks that in the comments.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)