Jul 16, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
There were Cliff Lee fantasies and then some Roy Oswalt pipe dreams, but if the Mets are going to get a starting pitcher, their options are probably going to need to be more realistic in terms of what they can get for the prospects they have to offer and what they can afford in terms of salary to the incoming body.
Buster Olney suggests Brett Myers, who is having a pretty darn nice season down in Houston. The price is right: whatever is left of his $3 million salary for 2010 plus either an $8 million option for 2011 or a $2 million buyout. Whereas Lee would have cost an arm and a leg in terms of prospects, you figure Houston would accept much less in terms of bodies.
The only thing that gets me on the Myers reports I’ve seen are references to him “knowing how to win in the NL East.” As if it were some foreign country or something where only he knows the language. He’s like any other pitcher I imagine: he does better in the significantly weaker NL Central and if he came back to the East and faced the Phillies and Braves more his ERA would rise.
Might be a good catch for the Mets, but let’s not pretend he’s more than he is.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 53
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)