Jul 16, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
There were Cliff Lee fantasies and then some Roy Oswalt pipe dreams, but if the Mets are going to get a starting pitcher, their options are probably going to need to be more realistic in terms of what they can get for the prospects they have to offer and what they can afford in terms of salary to the incoming body.
Buster Olney suggests Brett Myers, who is having a pretty darn nice season down in Houston. The price is right: whatever is left of his $3 million salary for 2010 plus either an $8 million option for 2011 or a $2 million buyout. Whereas Lee would have cost an arm and a leg in terms of prospects, you figure Houston would accept much less in terms of bodies.
The only thing that gets me on the Myers reports I’ve seen are references to him “knowing how to win in the NL East.” As if it were some foreign country or something where only he knows the language. He’s like any other pitcher I imagine: he does better in the significantly weaker NL Central and if he came back to the East and faced the Phillies and Braves more his ERA would rise.
Might be a good catch for the Mets, but let’s not pretend he’s more than he is.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 8
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 57
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)