Jul 16, 2010, 9:07 AM EDT
Rob Bradford reports that the Rangers are “still monitoring the status” of Mike Lowell and may still consider trading for him if he shows that he’s healthy.
The Rangers, of course, have been hot and cold about Lowell since at least last December when they had a trade in place for him only to have his health put the kibosh on the thing. Having just traded Justin Smoak, Lowell might be some nice insurance in the event that Chris Davis doesn’t hack it at first. And even if Davis acquits himself nicely, a playoff team — like the Rangers appear to be — could certainly use an extra veteran bat.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (114)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)