The Yankees would love to have Adam Dunn and Joakim Soria

Jul 16, 2010, 6:14 PM EDT

At the risk of Derrek Lee coming out and saying that no one on the Yankees knows Ken Rosenthal, the FOX scoopsmith (eh? OK, I won’t say that again) reports that the Yankees would love to have Adam Dunn and Joakim Soria.

Hard to say what level of interest this really is, but boy howdy would it be scary for everyone in the American League if New York got either of these guys.  Dunn and that right field porch in Yankee Stadium would be a match made in heaven. A one-two punch of Soria and Rivera would be unfair in the extreme. It’d be fun to see even if it would be practically obscene that one of the league’s best closers was working as a setup man in the Bronx.

This just smells like chitchat, though, not anything New York can really be considering. I can picture a conversation in which Rosenthal’s Yankee source says “well, we tried for Lee, but beyond that we’re not going to do much.”  When pushed he says “well, hell, we’d love to have Adam Dunn or Joakim Soria . . .”

And yes, I make up conversations like that all the time. It’s fun!

1. willmose - Jul 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Didn’t Rosenthal also say that Mark McGwire would be a huge distraction for the Cardinals this season? Oh, wait he took that back about a month ago. I’m guessing he will take back what he saying about Derrek Lee, Adam Dunn and Joakin Soria on August 1st when none of them change teams. Never mind, I forgot Rosenthal is a just a gossip columnist not a reporter.

2. bigtrav425 - Jul 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM

They dont have enough to give up for those guys..unless they just paid cash for them..which is what the yanks do best!

3. 2cents - Jul 16, 2010 at 7:24 PM

About a week ago I had the thought Dunn would end up a Yankee.Don’t remember why. Maybe the defence thing might be an issue but who knows. I think he’d be a good fit. Boras isn’t his agent is he?

4. Paper Lions - Jul 16, 2010 at 10:35 PM

There are 29 teams that would love to have Soria and at least a dozen that would love to have Dunn. When is Rosenthal’s report that the Yankees would love to Pujols, Utely, Zimmerman, Heyward, Santana, Halladay, and Lincecum coming out?

5. JBerardi - Jul 17, 2010 at 12:15 AM

I agree, except that you might be selling Dunn short.

6. DavidBurden - Jul 17, 2010 at 2:29 AM

I’m really hoping this was a reference to The Poopsmith.

7. Barney - Jul 22, 2010 at 7:27 AM

The Yankees are loaded in the minors they have 3 top catching prospects Montero, Romine and Sanchez they also have many attractive pitching prospects Phelps, Sanchez, Nova, Noesi, Melancon, Warren, Stoneburner, Ramirez and Hall. If they needed they have a few position players the could be used Miranda, Nunez, Adams, Laird, Vazquez, and Joesph. If you offered KC a package starting with Montero then one of the pitchers and a position player I think you would attract there attention, I wouldn’t trade Montero for any other relief pitcher but Soria he is under team control for a couple of years and would be a candiate to take over for Mo. Then for Dunn you could start the package with Miranda or Vazquez, a good pitcher and a “B” prospect. I think for a pitcher like Soria it would be worth it.

All the trade deadline news to know