Jul 16, 2010, 9:05 PM EDT
Upon joining the Blue Jays in Baltimore on Friday, Yunel Escobar told reporters — well, through an translator, Blue Jays bench coach Nick Leyva, anyway — that he felt he was unfairly criticized during his time in Atlanta, according to the Associated Press.
“There was a problem [in Atlanta],” Escobar said. “I feel bad that I was
getting a label I don’t think I deserved. It was inappropriate because
I’m not the type of person and not the type of player that people were
putting the label on me as being.”
The criticism has reached new heights since the trade, with ESPN’s Buster Olney tweeting on Thursday that Alex Gonzalez was greeted with a standing ovation when he walked into the Braves’ clubhouse.
Whether he acknowledges it or not, Escobar has earned the reputation as a player who dogs it on occasion. I can’t claim that I have watched the Braves as much as Craig does, but his nonchalant style was pretty obvious in last weekend’s series against the Mets. Perhaps it was the last straw for Braves manager Bobby Cox.
Let’s hope Escobar uses this trade as a motivation to be the player we all expected him to be. Beating out a bunt single in his first at-bat with the Blue Jays is a pretty good way to begin rehabbing his image.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 60
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)