Jul 17, 2010, 8:48 PM EDT
8:48 PM: Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Burnett cut his hand on a plastic lineup card after slamming a set of double doors in the Yankees’ clubhouse after the second inning. To make matters worse, he told the Yanks coaching staff at first that he tripped, and that the lacerations were an accident. Burnett said he plans to apologize to the entire team on Sunday.
6:41 PM: A.J. Burnett left Saturday’s game against the Rays in the third inning due to cuts on his right hand, according to Tim Britton of MLB.com.
Burnett allowed four runs on four hits — including a two-run home run by Reid Brignac — over two-plus innings before being relieved by Dustin Moseley. He also hit two batters and committed an error.
When Yankees manager Joe Girardi was interviewed during the game on FOX, he said he wasn’t aware how Burnett suffered the cuts on his hand. Just a short while ago, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman informed Kim Jones of YES Network that Burnett tripped up some stairs and scraped his hand while bracing his fall. It’s not known when or where the incident occurred, though I’m sure this isn’t the last we’ve heard of this.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (87)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)