Jul 17, 2010, 8:48 PM EST
8:48 PM: Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Burnett cut his hand on a plastic lineup card after slamming a set of double doors in the Yankees’ clubhouse after the second inning. To make matters worse, he told the Yanks coaching staff at first that he tripped, and that the lacerations were an accident. Burnett said he plans to apologize to the entire team on Sunday.
6:41 PM: A.J. Burnett left Saturday’s game against the Rays in the third inning due to cuts on his right hand, according to Tim Britton of MLB.com.
Burnett allowed four runs on four hits — including a two-run home run by Reid Brignac — over two-plus innings before being relieved by Dustin Moseley. He also hit two batters and committed an error.
When Yankees manager Joe Girardi was interviewed during the game on FOX, he said he wasn’t aware how Burnett suffered the cuts on his hand. Just a short while ago, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman informed Kim Jones of YES Network that Burnett tripped up some stairs and scraped his hand while bracing his fall. It’s not known when or where the incident occurred, though I’m sure this isn’t the last we’ve heard of this.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 0
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (153)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)