Jul 17, 2010, 8:48 PM EDT
8:48 PM: Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Burnett cut his hand on a plastic lineup card after slamming a set of double doors in the Yankees’ clubhouse after the second inning. To make matters worse, he told the Yanks coaching staff at first that he tripped, and that the lacerations were an accident. Burnett said he plans to apologize to the entire team on Sunday.
6:41 PM: A.J. Burnett left Saturday’s game against the Rays in the third inning due to cuts on his right hand, according to Tim Britton of MLB.com.
Burnett allowed four runs on four hits — including a two-run home run by Reid Brignac — over two-plus innings before being relieved by Dustin Moseley. He also hit two batters and committed an error.
When Yankees manager Joe Girardi was interviewed during the game on FOX, he said he wasn’t aware how Burnett suffered the cuts on his hand. Just a short while ago, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman informed Kim Jones of YES Network that Burnett tripped up some stairs and scraped his hand while bracing his fall. It’s not known when or where the incident occurred, though I’m sure this isn’t the last we’ve heard of this.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 28
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 39
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)