Jul 17, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Sometimes it just isn’t your day, but Saturday’s 4-1 loss to the Phillies is the latest sign that this just isn’t the Cubs’ year.
Carlos Marmol, who struck out the side in impressive fashion on Friday, entered Saturday’s game protecting a one-run lead. After getting Greg Dobbs to fly out to begin the ninth inning, he walked Brian Schneider and Ross Gload to put the tying run into scoring position. Marmol was able to strike out Shane Victorino for the second out, but surrendered a game-tying RBI single to Placido Polanco, who was activated from the disabled list prior to Saturday’s game.
Tyler Colvin, who was playing left field, actually made a very strong throw to the plate, however catcher Geovany Soto was unable to come up with the ball and apply a tag. Game tied. But that wasn’t the worst of it. Not only did Marmol walk the next batter Jimmy Rollins on four pitches, he threw ball four to the backstop, allowing Gload to score with the go-ahead run. Yeesh.
Marmol then intentionally walked Ryan Howard to load the bases after Jimmy Rollins stole second base. And that would make tons of sense if Marmol was capable of throwing strikes. He wasn’t. At least not on this particular day. Marmol proceeded to walk Jayson Werth, too, his fifth free pass of the inning. Just to put things in perspective for a minute, Cliff Lee has walked just six batters all freaking season.
Anyway, Cubs manager Lou Piniella finally pulled his closer from the game after he threw just 15 of 39 pitches for strikes. Again, bad day for Marmol, but he’s really been the least of the Cubs’ problems this season. Consider today’s painful loss just another notch in the “sell” column.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 61
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 56
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11