Jul 17, 2010, 3:53 PM EDT
UPDATE: David Huff’s agent Jim McDowell informed Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com that his client will not be starting on Sunday. And, apparently, the tweet is to blame.
“If word got out about Huff possibly throwing a spot start on Sunday, it was not David’s doing. He did not post anything on Twitter about any of this, in fact his own account was terminated over a month ago. And if stuff gets out and circulates over the internet or Twitter, or whatever, well, welcome to 2010.
“Dave will be pitching for AAA Columbus tomorrow, apparently because this was such a big deal. He’ll continue to focus on making the necessary improvements and adjustments that will bring him back to the big leagues for what will be a long, successful career.”
Though Huff and his agent are denying it, an account belonging to @DHuff11 said otherwise on Friday. Regardless, that his innocent actions may have cost him a start on Sunday is patently absurd.
Friday, 7:30 PM: Triple-A Columbus hurler David Huff found out Friday that he was being recalled by the Indians to make a start on Sunday. Obviously excited about the news, he did what the typical 25-year-old with a twitter account would do:
DHuff11 Just got called up for a spot start Sunday against the Detriot Tigers at 1 pm EST. See you there!!
And he might have gotten away with it, too, except Indians reporter Anthony Castrovince picked it up and retweeted it, letting everyone know something the Indians weren’t ready to announce.
As a result, Huff’s status for Sunday is up in the air and his twitter account has been deleted. Indians pitching coach Tim Belcher told Castrovance the callup “may or may not happen” now.
Hopefully, the Indians will go easy on Huff. He wasn’t trying to break a story. He didn’t have a million people following him. He got some good news, and he wanted to let his friends and family know he had gotten a return ticket to the majors, even if it was for just a day. It wasn’t an offense that should cost him the callup.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)