Jul 17, 2010, 3:53 PM EDT
UPDATE: David Huff’s agent Jim McDowell informed Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com that his client will not be starting on Sunday. And, apparently, the tweet is to blame.
“If word got out about Huff possibly throwing a spot start on Sunday, it was not David’s doing. He did not post anything on Twitter about any of this, in fact his own account was terminated over a month ago. And if stuff gets out and circulates over the internet or Twitter, or whatever, well, welcome to 2010.
“Dave will be pitching for AAA Columbus tomorrow, apparently because this was such a big deal. He’ll continue to focus on making the necessary improvements and adjustments that will bring him back to the big leagues for what will be a long, successful career.”
Though Huff and his agent are denying it, an account belonging to @DHuff11 said otherwise on Friday. Regardless, that his innocent actions may have cost him a start on Sunday is patently absurd.
Friday, 7:30 PM: Triple-A Columbus hurler David Huff found out Friday that he was being recalled by the Indians to make a start on Sunday. Obviously excited about the news, he did what the typical 25-year-old with a twitter account would do:
DHuff11 Just got called up for a spot start Sunday against the Detriot Tigers at 1 pm EST. See you there!!
And he might have gotten away with it, too, except Indians reporter Anthony Castrovince picked it up and retweeted it, letting everyone know something the Indians weren’t ready to announce.
As a result, Huff’s status for Sunday is up in the air and his twitter account has been deleted. Indians pitching coach Tim Belcher told Castrovance the callup “may or may not happen” now.
Hopefully, the Indians will go easy on Huff. He wasn’t trying to break a story. He didn’t have a million people following him. He got some good news, and he wanted to let his friends and family know he had gotten a return ticket to the majors, even if it was for just a day. It wasn’t an offense that should cost him the callup.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)