Jul 17, 2010, 3:53 PM EDT
UPDATE: David Huff’s agent Jim McDowell informed Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com that his client will not be starting on Sunday. And, apparently, the tweet is to blame.
“If word got out about Huff possibly throwing a spot start on Sunday, it was not David’s doing. He did not post anything on Twitter about any of this, in fact his own account was terminated over a month ago. And if stuff gets out and circulates over the internet or Twitter, or whatever, well, welcome to 2010.
“Dave will be pitching for AAA Columbus tomorrow, apparently because this was such a big deal. He’ll continue to focus on making the necessary improvements and adjustments that will bring him back to the big leagues for what will be a long, successful career.”
Though Huff and his agent are denying it, an account belonging to @DHuff11 said otherwise on Friday. Regardless, that his innocent actions may have cost him a start on Sunday is patently absurd.
Friday, 7:30 PM: Triple-A Columbus hurler David Huff found out Friday that he was being recalled by the Indians to make a start on Sunday. Obviously excited about the news, he did what the typical 25-year-old with a twitter account would do:
DHuff11 Just got called up for a spot start Sunday against the Detriot Tigers at 1 pm EST. See you there!!
And he might have gotten away with it, too, except Indians reporter Anthony Castrovince picked it up and retweeted it, letting everyone know something the Indians weren’t ready to announce.
As a result, Huff’s status for Sunday is up in the air and his twitter account has been deleted. Indians pitching coach Tim Belcher told Castrovance the callup “may or may not happen” now.
Hopefully, the Indians will go easy on Huff. He wasn’t trying to break a story. He didn’t have a million people following him. He got some good news, and he wanted to let his friends and family know he had gotten a return ticket to the majors, even if it was for just a day. It wasn’t an offense that should cost him the callup.
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 0
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 13
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 36
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)