Jul 17, 2010, 3:53 PM EDT
UPDATE: David Huff’s agent Jim McDowell informed Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com that his client will not be starting on Sunday. And, apparently, the tweet is to blame.
“If word got out about Huff possibly throwing a spot start on Sunday, it was not David’s doing. He did not post anything on Twitter about any of this, in fact his own account was terminated over a month ago. And if stuff gets out and circulates over the internet or Twitter, or whatever, well, welcome to 2010.
“Dave will be pitching for AAA Columbus tomorrow, apparently because this was such a big deal. He’ll continue to focus on making the necessary improvements and adjustments that will bring him back to the big leagues for what will be a long, successful career.”
Though Huff and his agent are denying it, an account belonging to @DHuff11 said otherwise on Friday. Regardless, that his innocent actions may have cost him a start on Sunday is patently absurd.
Friday, 7:30 PM: Triple-A Columbus hurler David Huff found out Friday that he was being recalled by the Indians to make a start on Sunday. Obviously excited about the news, he did what the typical 25-year-old with a twitter account would do:
DHuff11 Just got called up for a spot start Sunday against the Detriot Tigers at 1 pm EST. See you there!!
And he might have gotten away with it, too, except Indians reporter Anthony Castrovince picked it up and retweeted it, letting everyone know something the Indians weren’t ready to announce.
As a result, Huff’s status for Sunday is up in the air and his twitter account has been deleted. Indians pitching coach Tim Belcher told Castrovance the callup “may or may not happen” now.
Hopefully, the Indians will go easy on Huff. He wasn’t trying to break a story. He didn’t have a million people following him. He got some good news, and he wanted to let his friends and family know he had gotten a return ticket to the majors, even if it was for just a day. It wasn’t an offense that should cost him the callup.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 34
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)