Jul 17, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports that the Indians have placed Kerry Wood on the disabled list with a blister on his right index finger.
Wood was placed on the DL retroactive to July 12, so he’ll be eligible to return before the end of the month. Still, this won’t help his already minimal trade value.
Though he has been better since posting an 11.05 ERA in May, Wood still has a 6.30 ERA and 1.60 WHIP in 23 appearances this season, compiling a mediocre 18/11 K/BB ratio over 20 innings. The 33-year-old right-hander is owed roughly $5 million for the rest of the season.
Closer-in-waiting Chris Perez will fill in for Wood during his absence.
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 1
- The beauty of belief 23
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)