Jul 17, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports that the Indians have placed Kerry Wood on the disabled list with a blister on his right index finger.
Wood was placed on the DL retroactive to July 12, so he’ll be eligible to return before the end of the month. Still, this won’t help his already minimal trade value.
Though he has been better since posting an 11.05 ERA in May, Wood still has a 6.30 ERA and 1.60 WHIP in 23 appearances this season, compiling a mediocre 18/11 K/BB ratio over 20 innings. The 33-year-old right-hander is owed roughly $5 million for the rest of the season.
Closer-in-waiting Chris Perez will fill in for Wood during his absence.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)