Jul 17, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports that the Indians have placed Kerry Wood on the disabled list with a blister on his right index finger.
Wood was placed on the DL retroactive to July 12, so he’ll be eligible to return before the end of the month. Still, this won’t help his already minimal trade value.
Though he has been better since posting an 11.05 ERA in May, Wood still has a 6.30 ERA and 1.60 WHIP in 23 appearances this season, compiling a mediocre 18/11 K/BB ratio over 20 innings. The 33-year-old right-hander is owed roughly $5 million for the rest of the season.
Closer-in-waiting Chris Perez will fill in for Wood during his absence.
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 4
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 200
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)