Jul 17, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports that the Indians have placed Kerry Wood on the disabled list with a blister on his right index finger.
Wood was placed on the DL retroactive to July 12, so he’ll be eligible to return before the end of the month. Still, this won’t help his already minimal trade value.
Though he has been better since posting an 11.05 ERA in May, Wood still has a 6.30 ERA and 1.60 WHIP in 23 appearances this season, compiling a mediocre 18/11 K/BB ratio over 20 innings. The 33-year-old right-hander is owed roughly $5 million for the rest of the season.
Closer-in-waiting Chris Perez will fill in for Wood during his absence.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)