Jul 17, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports that the Indians have placed Kerry Wood on the disabled list with a blister on his right index finger.
Wood was placed on the DL retroactive to July 12, so he’ll be eligible to return before the end of the month. Still, this won’t help his already minimal trade value.
Though he has been better since posting an 11.05 ERA in May, Wood still has a 6.30 ERA and 1.60 WHIP in 23 appearances this season, compiling a mediocre 18/11 K/BB ratio over 20 innings. The 33-year-old right-hander is owed roughly $5 million for the rest of the season.
Closer-in-waiting Chris Perez will fill in for Wood during his absence.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)